3 check-ups - "New to Medicare", Wellness visit, and routine physical

Medicare and You 2020, page 49

Yearly “Wellness” visit

The yearly “Wellness” visit isn’t a physical exam.

If your doctor or other health care provider performs additional tests or services during the same visit that aren’t covered under this preventive benefit, you may have to pay coinsurance, and the Part B deductible may apply. If the additional tests or services aren’t covered by Medicare (for example a routine physical exam), you may have to pay the full amount.

@SRee973 seems pretty obvious you don't understand Medicare as well as you should if you are working with seniors. Questioning the lack of "hands on" and including Part A in your earlier comments on doc exams says a lot about how much you don't know.

Docs who routinely see geriatric patients understand how Medicare works. They know how to code visits and when to introduce the ABN form.

Good luck.

Thanks for your valuable input.

I know Part A doesn't cover doctor visits. Ohhh, but I inadvertently mentioned it in the original post when mentioning Part A&B and Supp Plans together. What a terrible mistake that shows I know nothing.

You got incredibly defensive for no reason.

You're in your mid-60s with a terrible attitude.

Any time someone posts something you disagree with or think is stupid, you insult them.

Usng your words, it's "pretty obvious" you're incredibly arrogant, sarcastic, condescending, and a jerk.

Good luck to you as well.

Oh wait, you're in your mid-60s. You won't change.

Anyway, you're on this forum like a hobby, but don't answer any of my posts going forward.

Last edited:
When I discuss "physicals" with my clients I tell them that Medicare will only pay for an annual "Wellness" visit (some physicians perform "almost physicals" anyway when doing the Wellness.) Medicare defines a Physical as a check on a diagnosis of a particular ailment the beneficiary suffers. They then will pay...but if a beneficiary arbitrarily asks for a physical for there own piece of mind, Medicare will not pay. For all intents and purposes, Wellness checks run a close second to a routine physical. Wellness checks coupled with blood work, more times then not, will pinpoint any issues.
That is the discussion I have with clients.

Back