3 things I wish I knew starting out as a new agent

The reason In take advances is I have a hard time motivating myself to go after a $50 first commission.. $300 is a different story.. As far as the ban goes, they will take the deposit today and will pay interest to get it (though not much these days) on the premise they will put the money to use and earn even more.

Yeah, I was asking reasons for those that don't take advances.

Let's talk about a "good" DM program. Let's say $300 for a 1000 piece mailing. Let's say a 2% return which is high. Most likely it's around 1.5%. But we'll go with 2. That means the new agent will get 20 leads back. After waiting 4 or 5 weeks.

***fixed price order $28-34/per, 20 per week**** Get some overflow, fb, or tele leads during the wait.

Then he has to call the leads to set up the appointment. Here's a quote from THIS forum, "If I had an appointment setter set 6-7 appointments off of 20 of leads I would be VERY happy."

***door knock don’t call, your new every lead counts***

Why do I have a hunch the new agents "decent training" from you is telling him to sell this friends and family members until his 6 leads come in from 300 dollar direct mailing program?

****Nobody said this****

People are full of excuses and your sure full of plenty.

rousemark,

This was a hypothetical situation.

My statement "Why do I have a hunch the new agents "decent training" from you is telling him to sell this friends and family members until his 6 leads come in from 300 dollar direct mailing program?" explains what he may have been doing waiting for his DM leads to arrive.

I was trying to show that most new agents fail, as studies show, because of no money to buy leads or lack of knowledge where to get them not because they lack focus, or have no loyality or direction.

And lack of knowledge in a new agent is a result of no or non-effective training they receive.

tinman

Baseball,

Thanks for proving my point that most new agents fail because the have no money to buy leads. 34 dollars, your figure, times 20 is 680 dollars.

You going to loan your new agents 680 dollars to buy leads?

I'm not making excuses. I'm describing reality.

I don't expect you to agree with me. To do so would be accepting blame for the failure of any of your new agents.

tinman

It takes some planning but don’t get into FE if your dead broke. You have to be able to afford a lead order. Or have a plan how you’ll work from aged leads, to fb, to dm, or whatever.

Fexbids how much ap did you write last month, or last week?

I was trying to show that most new agents fail, as studies show, because of no money to buy leads or lack of knowledge where to get them not because they lack focus, or have no loyality or direction.

Can you cite one of the studies you're referring to?

You factored in 20% close ratio of APPOINTMENTS! Its 20% close ratio of LEADS instead.

Plus, getting 6-7 appointments out of 20 leads is a HORRIBLE percentage. More like 10-15 and then the agent has to be willing to door knock the ones that doesnt set.

Also, you're using these crazy numbers and then explaining the agent is broke. If it's a new agent, setting appointments on 20 fresh leads is not the best idea unless they are just AMAZING on the phone.

I have an agent that just got his license, went through all the training, waiting on his fresh DM to come in, and closed $5200 in his first week EVER in this business.

Most people fail because they dont have what it takes. So many people dont mind being a failure as long as they have someone (IMO or upline) or something (bad area, horrible leads, etc.) to blame.

Then when they fail, they blame something and move to another IMO. Fail there and then move to another IMO.

I had an agent on here complain about the release he got from me not showing correctly on his end. I have sent him the release three different times over a two month period and every single time it is a new IMO. EFES didnt work, Mungia didnt work, FEX Contracting didnt work, now to some other IMO.

Not all agents have what it takes and the IMO is not always the one to blame.

You factored in 20% close ratio of APPOINTMENTS! Its 20% close ratio of LEADS instead.

Plus, getting 6-7 appointments out of 20 leads is a HORRIBLE percentage. More like 10-15 and then the agent has to be willing to door knock the ones that doesnt set.

Also, you're using these crazy numbers and then explaining the agent is broke. If it's a new agent, setting appointments on 20 fresh leads is not the best idea unless they are just AMAZING on the phone.

I have an agent that just got his license, went through all the training, waiting on his fresh DM to come in, and closed $5200 in his first week EVER in this business.

Most people fail because they dont have what it takes. So many people dont mind being a failure as long as they have someone (IMO or upline) or something (bad area, horrible leads, etc.) to blame.

Then when they fail, they blame something and move to another IMO. Fail there and then move to another IMO.

I had an agent on here complain about the release he got from me not showing correctly on his end. I have sent him the release three different times over a two month period and every single time it is a new IMO. EFES didnt work, Mungia didnt work, FEX Contracting didnt work, now to some other IMO.

Not all agents have what it takes and the IMO is not always the one to blame.
I've been watching the back and forth here for a bit. So I thought I'd chime in. In my experience, it's not an either/or. A good agent can be made even better with the right leadership. But a good agent can also be run off by a poor manager. Some agents who fail miserably in one situation might thrive somewhere else.

That being said, a motivated agent with a strong work ethic will make a way. A lazy agent will make an excuse.

rousemark,

This was a hypothetical situation.

My statement "Why do I have a hunch the new agents "decent training" from you is telling him to sell this friends and family members until his 6 leads come in from 300 dollar direct mailing program?" explains what he may have been doing waiting for his DM leads to arrive.

And lack of knowledge in a new agent is a result of no or non-effective training they receive.

tinman
I have a hunch that your hunch is very wrong.. The fact is the majority of people in the insurance business aren't buying leads. (That seems to be an FE -MP phenomenon) So for those that have been in the business 30-40 years, I doubt they had that many friends and family members. If a person really wants to make it and has no leads, he will find another way to get prospects. He might even decide to canvas (heaven forbid) neighborhoods with his chosen demographic. Perhaps even approach Senior centers, etc. for seminars..Seek out referrals.. Even standing on a street corner with a sign around his neck saying, "Ask me about Burial Insurance" would be better than sitting around going broke because "the leads haven't come in"..

Back