I am taking my Life and A&H exams this Friday 8/17/18, and I will be working for a brokerage firm owned by the most successful recruit my dad ever had. She was working doing clerical work at a factory before going to work for my dad, and now she has made it big. I have an inside track, and I can’t pass on this opportunity. It has been a real struggle, trying to decide what my new career will be, but it’s go time. She has been generous enough to put me on a draw, but she’s tough and I’ve got to deliver. I’m nervous but grateful for the opportunity.

You can only "deliver" AFTER this "recruit/brokerage owner" makes good on their training promises. The training has to be clear, concise, and able to help you build your confidence in who you are and what you do.

Not everyone who knows how to sell knows how to train.

Now, having said that - I can only *assume* that since this recruit owns a brokerage, they must be doing at least 1 of 2 things right:
1) Training new people and keeping them
or
2) Attracting highly skilled people and keeping them

Hopefully, they're doing at least the first one right for you to have a chance.

Has the initial post changed? Because I only see someone who is talking about his ministry as his prior career. I didn't see any Bible-thumping. virtual street-preaching, or hellfire and damnation.

Michael, I wish you the best of success!

Just giving a little advice on what some of us see as a potential killer in this industry. I, for one, hope it helps him.

Hmm... always wondered how that worked... The guy I shave in the mirror at home each morning is that same guy (less some facial hair) that Mildred is talking to on the couch about life insurance...

Am I just supposed to leave him at home? :err: ...he's the one with the drivers licenses... how do I get to Mildred's?

Seriously... you take you where ever you go... and your client gets the guy who has a private life, for better or worse. :yes:

I _think_ what Todd is saying is to leave the deeper personal stuff out of our business. The shallower stuff is part of or personalities. Which we show to others and in my case, helps us sell. Whether it is your religion, politics or sports team, that is you. I only care to a certain degree. My business if very dependent on relationships. I insure Christians, non practicing Christians, rabid fat right wingers and some flaming liberals. I also insure some Primerica and Lincoln Heritage agents. Hell, I have even written some Cowboy and Dodgers fans. None of those questions were on the applications.

I am pretty active in Veterans causes, am a Vet and the Pop of Vets. My family has been at War since 9-11. We are living breathing flag wavers. I try to keep that out of my client agent relationships. I have also done business with anti War people. I will say that I have walked away from some business were i know the person is just going to piss me off though.

I _think_ what Todd is saying is to leave the deeper personal stuff out of our business. The shallower stuff is part of or personalities. Which we show to others and in my case, helps us sell. Whether it is your religion, politics or sports team, that is you. I only care to a certain degree. My business if very dependent on relationships. I insure Christians, non practicing Christians, rabid fat right wingers and some flaming liberals. I also insure some Primerica and Lincoln Heritage agents. Hell, I have even written some Cowboy and Dodgers fans. None of those questions were on the applications.

I am pretty active in Veterans causes, am a Vet and the Pop of Vets. My family has been at War since 9-11. We are living breathing flag wavers. I try to keep that out of my client agent relationships. I have also done business with anti War people. I will say that I have walked away from some business were i know the person is just going to piss me off though.

You put it much more eloquently than I did, so thank you!

LifeHawk gave you a nicely balanced post in post number 4. When your instinct says TMI, the backspace key is a useful tool. If you are attempting to make approval from this forum for choosing a difficult path the basis for your business motivation and success, you are doomed to failure before you even start. You must find that internally in some fashion.

You spoke of both liking and hating both musical and insurance activities. You may find your creativity to present challenges as well as helps. I suspect you will find that much of selling is going to involve disciplined application of a series of repeatable steps.

If you have a good relationship with your father, he may be a good source of advice to you. An evening meal at your home and discuss concerns with him.

When you were selling insurance, did you make any friends who are still in the business and whom you could set up a mutual accountability relationship with?

Coming out of a "valley" experience, you might find one of Og Mandino's books to be useful emotional support. I suspect The Greatest Salesman in the World is probably the one most commonly recommended to salespersons, but given that people are different, you might find a stronger connection with one of the others. It's been a long time since I read them, but scanning the title list, one of the ragpicker ones might be a good second choice. You can look him up on wikipedia to see a list.

Well, he didn't say talking about religious beliefs is "puking"..

LOL.....Don't take that just as a religious thing. You're probably not into NASCAR, but I could certainly push it on you enough that you would think I've just puked all over you with it.

LOL.....Don't take that just as a religious thing. You're probably not into NASCAR, but I could certainly push it on you enough that you would think I've just puked all over you with it.
Love NASCAR racing but am not a "fanatic" fan. Same with college football.. Enjoy the game while it is being played and then put it aside. Can't give you stats in either case.

Back