ACA ObamaCare 2018 - Rules, Premiums, Info, Etc.

Cigna-NO, Ambetter-fixed amount per person
Thank you for that information. I received an email from ambetter asking me to contract with them but I ignored the email. They only have 11 hospitals in the Chicago area out of 114.

Maybe I'll contract with ambetter just in case somebody enrolls themself unassisted at my website.

Well, if hc.gov can convince that guy to get the "free" insurance then Blue Cross is banking the $13,000 for the year. Won't lapse for non-pay! I assume that is the strategy now for most carriers, set silver prices so high that all bronze plans are free but the person can't afford the deductible so they never go to the doctor...
They will go to the doctor for the free stuff and also for sickness and injuries. But it's been that way a long time around here.

Thank you for that information. I received an email from ambetter asking me to contract with them but I ignored the email. They only have 11 hospitals in the Chicago area out of 114.

Maybe I'll contract with ambetter just in case somebody enrolls themself unassisted at my website.
They have some minimum to be met, but can't remember how many policies at least

They have some minimum to be met.
I'm amazed that a 60 year-old smoker in suburban Chicago, with MAGI of $25,000 can get a Blue Cross PPO Bronze plan for $0 a month. (Pre-Subsidy premium = $1,101.36!)

A year ago, I could explain why a subsidy was set the way that it was. But this year, I'm at a loss to explain the formula. Guess I'd better visit ACAsignups.net to get current.
In DuPage it doesn't work same way. Premium doubles.

They have some minimum to be met, but can't remember how many policies at least

They have some minimum to be met.

In DuPage it doesn't work same way. Premium doubles.

HelpICO, Thank-you for replying, and for that information regarding DuPage county. Last year, people who lived in Kane county received 40% more subsidy/ATPC than Cook county/Chicago residents.

Though I won't touch Celtic-Ambetter with a 10-foot pole, I'm glad that they hiked Cook county premiums by 40%. People in/close to Chicago will get a much better APTC for purchasing the reliable BCBS-IL in 2018.

In case you can't figure out why the price went up so much for families:

http://beta.latimes.com/business/la-fi-obamacare-health-insurance-premiums-20171102-story.html

LATimes says "blame the kids" for their premium increase, though it was the Obama administration that allowed insurers to charge more for teenagers this year. The idiots at that tabloid blame Trump for the 50% shorter enrollment period this year. Again, it was Obama's HHS that dictated the shorter 2018 O.E. time-span.

Monday, November 6, 2017

Looks like our WBE headaches, and the cut-back in OCare navigators, hasn't hurt the overall number of enrollees, for the first few days.

""A record number of people signed up for ObamaCare in the first few days of open enrollment this year compared to the same period in previous years, several sources close to the process told The Hill.

The surge in sign-ups, which was confirmed by an administration official, comes despite fears from Democrats that enrollment would fall off due to the Trump administration's cutbacks in outreach and advertising.

On the first day of enrollment alone, Nov. 1, one source close to the process told The Hill that more than 200,000 people selected a plan for 2018, compared with about 100,000 last year. More than 1 million people visited healthcare.gov that day, compared to about 750,000 last year, the source said.""

SOURCE: ObamaCare signups surge in early days to set new record

Rates have gone from $38/mo for my young son on an underwritten plan to over $200/mo on ACA GI plan with a higher out of pocket. Total family premiums have gone from ~7,000/year to over $24,000/year. Putting up with age increases is one thing. Putting up with drastic increases caused by allowed adverse selection built into the system is ridiculous. We won't go back to underwritten but need everyone that is eligible covered and everyone paying something.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back