Advice about captive opportunities

I love P&C and Health too. The renewals are great and it does just take time. You have to be patient at it. If it was easy, everyone would be selling insurance.

Djs,

I am very impressed that you can write at least 10 P&C policies in a week. I belong to the other camp and struggle to write 2 policies a week. What is your secret?

Not much in the way of secrets.... Depends what you want.
If you are after policy count, visit with your local used car dealers. They need someone who will write policies today and help them get their loans funded.

By the mortgage brokers in your area lunch and see what it takes to get their referrals.

Visit title companies, offer to write anything they need (including lost title bonds). Home policies can be provided within 4 hours.

Talk with any bookkeeping services in the area, get referrals from small businesses looking for liability policies, workers comp & health.

Some things work, some don't. Make sure you give something you try long enough to work, and if it doesn't work, move on to something else. If it does work, make it work better.

Once you have a client, make sure you write everything. Every client should be at least 2 policies. If they want auto, make sure you cover ALL their autos, add a renters policy (if applicable), ask about life (future sale), etc.

If you do internet leads, do something obscure. I work leads where the person has to have 2 major tickets (2 dui's is perfect). Zero competition, big rates, no cancellations. I have great rates for preferred drivers, but everyone competes for those, I don't have time to deal with it.

For the first 6-8 months, I struggled to write more than a few policies a week. Then something happened, and it went gangbusters. A big part of this was a mental change, and I stopped working out of my house, got an office, and started working it like a business. Getting out of the house was an amazing change, even though I'm a pretty disciplined person, and have worked out of my home for jobs before.

Dan

Back