Aetna Surprise?

Dave020

Super Moderator
California
So I go to the mailbox today and sort my mail and here is a commission check from Aetna. Now I only ever wrote one policy with them ages back (HIPAA) and found out that they don't pay any commission on HIPAA, so I kind of dropped them off of my radar.

About six months or so ago one of the RSM called me and when we spoke I mentioned that I write 80% HIPAA and would not be interested in writing it for no commission. End of subject, or so I thought.

So I look at this commission check and it is retro for this one HIPAA policy from April, 2006. Of course I had to call and see what this is all about.

Turns out, Aetna changed it for at least California and now (since September) pays commission on HIPAA business for California sales. It's only a flat 1%, but a lot better than a sharp stick in the eye. I know they won't tell me but I would love to find out what prompted this change.

For me this is intriguing as there are cases where relocation out of CA is probable, and it makes some sense to have the national PPO plan instead of having to do an interplan transfer with Blue and get stuck on a conversion plan.

What next? Kaiser allowing full agent service and brokerage of their CA IFP contracts??:)

1% wow that was mighty generous of them.

On a $500/mo plan that is $5 per month or $60 per year commission on $6000 per year paid premium.

Screaming deal!

I see your point of the post though, 1% is better than 0% - agreed.

I was told it was for California, so I assume no other states were included. I wonder what prompted the change here.

Dave020 did you get a separate check from your regular commission check?

I haven't received any separate checks from them so I guess it might be on my regular check.

I only wrote one hipaa policy with them anyways....was just curious.

I only received this one check as I have only ever written that one HIPAA policy with Aetna. I chose not to market their IFP plans as they were not paying on HIPAA so I never placed any other cases with them. Check your commission statement and see if it shows up on there, I would assume it would all be in the same commission.

Back