Agency owner is a bully

A big thanks to everyone. So much great advice that's also actionable. This will give him, and me, perspective he's never had. He's also very entrepreneurial and I can't see him not going independent. This forum and it's people are golden.

Reminds me when I was a teen and got bullied and threatened at school. When I look back, I just should have punched him in the face.

Technically, the agency owner can't tell him what to do EVER. Can't tell him when to come and go, can't set production requirements, etc. He's totally free to do what he wants, when he wants. Most folks that "employ" people as 1099, are just trying to skirt the system on paying taxes and benefits, all the while treating them like an employee.

Another excellent point. This owner is treating him like a Statutory Employee by IRS definition. Of course its a big grey area, but the "your fired unless you do this" is most definitely statutory status.

He can give production minimums to keep representing the name.... or to keep being given overhead/support.... and maybe he can even cancel the carrier contracts depending on the contract he signed with the owner.

However, the agency canceling carrier contracts would be doing him a favor.... no 6 month wait to contract with a new upline (IMO/Agency).

Best thing this kid could do is get fired.

A big thanks to everyone. So much great advice that's also actionable. This will give him, and me, perspective he's never had. He's also very entrepreneurial and I can't see him not going independent. This forum and it's people are golden.

Reminds me when I was a teen and got bullied and threatened at school. When I look back, I just should have punched him in the face.

Hey Robert,

Depending where your son is in Maryland, I would be willing to go to the office with him to have some words with his "boss" .

Feel free to reach out.

Once he finds out what is available within the industry he is going to feel like he was played for a fool.

If possible have him keep a list of clients for when his non-compete is over. He's going to discover there are many other carriers with different products to offer.

Of course leave per contract an if fired get it in writing. But understand if fired he may have to explain it on future contracting applications. It might be best to just leave on his own per contract.

There is an industry equivalent to “Battered Wife Syndrome” where the abused is more afraid of leaving and the unknown than continuing in their current bad situation.
Once they finally leave they can never believe they stuck around as long as they did. Many agents go through this early in their careers.

Every industry is capable of having owners who are just A holes. As many agencies that exist, there is no reason he shouldn't find one that isn't so toxic.

Believe me I'm no snowflake. I worked for a boss who was a piece of garbage for 4 years. I learned so much during that time including how to treat people. However, there comes a time where enough is enough and it sounds like he works too hard to live that way.

Another excellent point. This owner is treating him like a Statutory Employee by IRS definition. Of course its a big grey area, but the "your fired unless you do this" is most definitely statutory status.

He can give production minimums to keep represen for violation of the ting the name.... or to keep being given overhead/support.... and maybe he can even cancel the carrier contracts depending on the contract he signed with the owner.

However, the agency canceling carrier contracts would be doing him a favor.... no 6 month wait to contract with a new upline (IMO/Agency).

Best thing this kid could do is get fired.
And then, report the "employer" to the IRS.

This guy is asking for advice for his son as a father who cares about him and wants to help. I feel sorry for your children. God forbid they ever come to you for advice.

Inappropriate response to the person you responded to.

Not sure if we know son wants to know, or is ready to hear, some of the things said here.

Dad is helicoptering pretty strong.

Back