AIM Guaranteed Issue Insurance

What difference does it make if they are paying claims or not?

If the product is not properly filed with the state DOI (which it is not), and all attempts to track it back to a carrier or real business address, why would you want to sell it?

I'm not defending the plan, I hardly know anything about it. From what I have seen of it and the brochure, they are making it very clear what it is and what it is not. Since I operate in a state with virtually NO options for the uninsurable, I am at least keeping an open mind.

There are tons of agents in Fla and Ga who are listed on the AIM site, under "locate an agent". Call them up, see if they do sell it, and how well the claims are paid.

I've had a couple of issues regarding claims with the AIM plans. One dealt with some services rendered outside of the country, another dealt with a colonscopy not being covered, which, if I remember correctly, had been a pre-existing condition.

The AIM plans are underwritten by American Medical & Life Insurance Co. In the states that AMLI holds no certificate of authority, Guarantee Trust Life is the carrier. I received this information firsthand from AMLI. Both carriers are rated B+ by AM Best. There are four states in which the plans are not available, which are (and I need to reconfirm this) NJ, VT, WA, and MA.

The reason the carriers are never listed is because the AIM plans are handled through a third party administrator. Is it confusing doing things that way? Perhaps. Does it raise some red flags? I'd say, at first glance...yes. But after working with these guys for some time now, it's a legitimate, solid operation that provides one of the richest mini-meds in the country.

This plan will honor a Certificate of Creditable Coverage, as well as issue one upon leaving the plan. As a broker, if in doubt as to whether a certificate would be honored, you would have to go to the carrier. The best place to start would be by calling your state's high risk pool, if there is one and ask them if they would honor it.

Look, no one wants to sell these types of plans. In an ideal world, we'd all sell major medical, no one would ever be turned down for pre-existing conditions, claims would always be paid in a timely matter (keep in mind it's not just mini-meds that have claims issues), and my health insurance would cover my gym membership. But that isn't how it is.

I exhaust ALL options (see the Guaranteed Issue FAQ on our website) before I sell AIM, and that includes major med, state high-risk pools (if one exists), group health, COBRA (if available), HIPAA, conversion plans, and inquiring if the potential client is a business owner with two or more employees. A lot of the time, when one or more of these options ARE available, the cost is just too high for them.

By the way, if you do still have a hang-up selling these types of plans, the disclaimer signature/sign-off form is a great idea - just for your own peace of mind. Hopefully, however the insured will be well aware of the limitations of these types of plans before they purchase.

One more thing - the person giving away free leads is not IRG. He's just another broker. IRG's site is aimhealthplans dot com.

Look, no one wants to sell these types of plans. In an ideal world, we'd all sell major medical, no one would ever be turned down for pre-existing conditions,

This is not my ideal world. I do not want everyone to be accepted, that model is a complete failure.

Take a state like Texas that has a great High Risk Pool and you wonder why a person would not just go there if eligible and have real coverage?

Maybe there is a market in non risk pool states. Some states still have not created a pool, they do not "get it" and it is not politically correct to segregate the unhealthy.

This is not my ideal world. I do not want everyone to be accepted, that model is a complete failure.

Take a state like Texas that has a great High Risk Pool and you wonder why a person would not just go there if eligible and have real coverage?

Maybe there is a market in non risk pool states. Some states still have not created a pool, they do not "get it" and it is not politically correct to segregate the unhealthy.

I suppose I mean, in an ideal world, there would not be people without major medical health insurance. There is, however, a market in risk pool states AND non-risk pool stated.

In California, there is a four month wait to get on the state's plan, and Arizona has no plan at all - only a low income plan (and I mean LOW INCOME). I don't know what the wait is like in TX for the pool, but if it was 4-6 months and you could get your client on a mini-med that would offer continuation of coverage until the state plan kicked in, would you still not sell it?

So you have no problem offering a plan that is not filed with the DOI and makes empty promises about issuing a worthless certificate of credibility.

Association For Independent Managers, Inc.
1384-54th Ave Ne
Saint Petersburg Fl 33703

I pulled this up on Google maps and it looks like a residential house. I'm looking for their corporate address.

Actually, the address you gave me is Jack Winebrenner's house who created AIM. Again - not looking for Jack's house - although it looks nice - I'm looking for their corporate office.

Last edited:
Back