Allstate and Progressive end relationships with local insurance agency due to alleged racist Junetee

Are you serious? I have to either assume you're joking or dense.

The guy was making a racist comment. He closed for Juneteeth.. A holiday celebrating the freedom of slaves, which were largely black. Fried chicken, collards, and watermelon are a common trope that people use to say what black people eat.

He's literally mocking Juneteenth as a ridiculous holiday and I hope you enjoy your black meal.

There's a huge difference in saying "I'm serving fried chicken and collards greens for a meal" and what was said.

I'm from, and spent 25 years of my young adult life in, Charleston, SC and I can see the difference.

I used to live in another country where the slaves that were brought were from India. It was pretty interesting to see how that situation developed vs here. Anyways, I always assumed the slaves here were from Africa, and therefore I assumed they were African (black) but it's not something I know a lot about. Were there other slaves from somewhere else, or African slaves that weren't black?

I ran a quick google search but didn't find much, so I'm genuinely curious and ill informed.

I used to live in another country where the slaves that were brought were from India. It was pretty interesting to see how that situation developed vs here. Anyways, I always assumed the slaves here were from Africa, and therefore I assumed they were African (black) but it's not something I know a lot about. Were there other slaves from somewhere else, or African slaves that weren't black?

I ran a quick google search but didn't find much, so I'm genuinely curious and ill informed.

Well, I was trying not to get into the debate of "white slaves", because there really weren't any. They were indentured servents, which was a significantly better situation both in duration and rights.. so.

Are you serious? I have to either assume you're joking or dense.
Fried chicken, collards, and watermelon are a common trope that people use to say what black people eat.

He's literally mocking Juneteenth as a ridiculous holiday and I hope you enjoy your black meal.

There's a huge difference in saying "I'm serving fried chicken and collards

Yes, I agree, but I think stereotypes like this are exceedingly rude, and repeating it makes it worse.

Yes, I agree, but I think stereotypes like this are exceedingly rude, and repeating it makes it worse.

Then I'm not understanding, and maybe your can clarify for the class.

I'm kind of offended that this thread is using fried chicken and collards as a weapon, and I'd like to have some for dinner.

Are you offended that the insurance broker who lost the appointments used this as a weapon OR that the thread saying the context of the trope is using it as a weapon?

There's two different things being said here:

1) You're annoyed some jackass was being racist using something that is absolutely a staple in the south and is quite delicious, honestly.
2) You're annoyed that people on the forum are saying that "fried chicken and collard greens" is a racist trope.

The latter is removing all context of the situation that used the trope. Which is a problem, because you're ignoring why it's racist. The former, I totally agree with.

You're so misguided, I'm not defending the guy that was mocking the holiday.. Anyway,, if it makes you feel important to pound your chest and claim an intimate understanding of the subject, enjoy it. I don't care, I'm only marginally considered white anyway.

I understand why the stereotype is considered racist.

I also understand the history behind it and the tragic reasons those stereotypes came to be.

And I care about other human beings enough not to use that stereotype against other human beings.

No chest pounding needed. Your defensiveness and supposed cluelessness says it all. If you honestly did not know why... you would have asked... or researched it as I suggested.

BTW, I love collard greens and fried chicken.... grew up on it.

This comment is so strange to me. Where I'm from, fried chicken and collards is a dietary staple for a lot of people. If I had an office and put a sign out that said I'd be out for the holiday, everybody enjoy their fried chicken and collards, they would think that's nice, you too, or why is he saying that, he didn't give us any?

I'm kind of offended that this thread is using fried chicken and collards as a weapon, and I'd like to have some for dinner. This has got to be some sort of provincial thing.

Out of touch my ass, you're obviously not from the SE US, regardless of where you live now. This whole thread is offensive.

So now you know that its a common stereotype?? Or should I say, now you admit that it is...

Amazing how quickly people do a 180 when called out on their bs.

Last edited:

In North America, most slaves were from Africa. Mostly because there was already an abundance of them available because of the slave trade in the Caribbean and South America. But there were also Native Americans, Middle Easterners, & even some from east asia... if I remember right they accounted for around 5%-10% of all slaves in the 1700s.

The Portuguese used South Americans as slaves at first, but found them to be too combative... and their skin tone caused heat stroke much easier than black skin tones. Historical accounts found that Africans where able to work much longer hours, and being in a strange land made them less prone to run away. (indigenous tribes were given rewards to return runaway slaves... and burned to the ground if they didnt)

So the Portuguese (and a lesser extent Italians & Spaniards) started capturing african slaves in mass. Then they found that "breeding" them was a better financial situation.... and "Chattel Slavery" was born.

The christian based racist aspect began around the 16th or 17th century by creating a "god given justification" for enslaving other humans and breeding/treating them like cattle. This comes from a misguided misunderstanding of biblical text of Noahs story and the "curse of Ham"... which was actually the curse of Canaan... not Noahs son Ham.

Chattel Slavery was much different than most forms of historical slavery previous to it. In ancient Greece, many slaves where held in high regard and were teachers/doctors/etc. They also usually did not remain slaves for life in most cultures... and often became slaves from losing battles in war.

Generally speaking, most ancient forms of slavery pre-Chattel Slavery was a lot closer to indentured servitude vs. what we think of as slavery. There were some exceptions... like the Israelites, but the old adage of "there has always been slavery" is not even close to a realistic comparison.

But slavery goes back to BC times. Warring tribes took women and children as slaves... and killed most of the men. It existed in most all cultures at some point. How it was practiced is the huge difference. Us "westerners" were the first to make it a racial/generational situation based on religious reasoning.... and it was by far the most brutal form of it in the history of mankind.

Last edited:
Bro, if you don't think that's racist then you have bigger issues.

When Vic and I agree that something was pretty disgusting (in no way disrespectful to Vic) It's definitely crossing a line.

My apologies. I keep forgetting that the most important thing is to establish (as loudly as possible) our moral purity, ethnical superiority, and suitability as paragons of mankind's finest qualities.

I am completely aghast, deeply offended, etc.

Back