And yet another thread about a CRM

So after playing with MedicarePro CRM, as rmhaire suggested, I decided to subscribe and go with them. They pretty much have everything I need.
I had questions and Andrew was extremely helpful. Even had couple of phone chats with him, where you don't see that often with companies nowadays. Cheers!

In considering any CRM, there are some concerns with which you should be aware. Remember, a CRM is basically an SQL database with window dressing (user interface). Nothing magical.
  • Who owns the data in the database once its entered? They back up the database to locations to which you have no access or visibility. If the relationship ends, and you export your data, what happens to all the copies of your data that they still have? Are they charging you to build a marketing resource for someone else?
    • "Cloud computer" means that your data is reposited in a server farm to which you have no visibility or direct access. How safe is this? What security commitments will they make in writing to you? While the Feds require HIPAA compliance, they don't issue a "seal of approval" to compliant computer facilities and services, so anyone can make this claim.
  • Autodialers may be less than advertised. Cell companies can detect computer dialed calls and most label them as spam. Anyone who hasn't saved your number in their phone sees a caller unknown or spam label on your call, or the call may be blocked. I've seen that happen with FMOs calling me.
  • How well does the CRM interface with your VPN? You don't want to have to disable a key defense to use it.
  • How easy is it to recover your data if you decide a CRM isn't as good as advertised and want to use something else? Beware of features that might make migration difficult.
  • Finally, if you are using a CRM with multiple agents, you are required to draft formal security and breach-reporting policies and procedures and train your staff and agents on the importance of adhering to these procedures. The people you bring on board will also be your major financial risk.
If you're not familiar with CRM, I'd start with one of the freeware options (hubspot, for example), get comfortable with it and get to know the features that you would like to have before investing a lot of money into a product. Personally, I started with ACT! back when there were much fewer options and have used Hubspot for years with no issues. However, I keep highly sensitive client data on an external drive in my office which is locked away when not needed. For security, that's the next best thing to paper.

Back