Anybody Cold Walking Businesses Regularly?

shepnerd

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I've read most of the posts over at TGP and never really hit the streets like Rick says to.

I was out the other day looking at cars and hit the lots up for insurance while I was browsing and got a lot better response than I would have thought.

I was leading with life and health and getting x-dates for commercial since the agency I'm with does a lot of that stuff and I'm sitting for the P&C exam next week so I can solicit more stuff.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone was doing this regularly, and if so, what type of businesses would you just walk into. I called some friends that own businesses and they basically said that they get a lot of calls that they pretty much ignore, but nobody ever really stops in.

I think its got a lot of merit, especially in the spring when the weather is this badass in the ATL. My question is who all would you hit? Dentist office? Office park? Retail shop? Walk a strip center?

I'm targeting restaurants and car lots right now since thats what our commercial side does a lot of and I figured just getting x-dates and planting seeds will pay off in the long run, but I'm curious what other people do and what pitch they use. Mine was basically "I'm an insurance agent, want to buy some insurance?"

I only stopped at a few places, but got a lead of some sort at each one.

I would run a list from a business database. Search & Sort by street name. Go in each one and ask for the contact person by name. Introduce yourself, the kind of work you do and go from there.

It may be me, but I find it is MANY TIMES easier to go in asking for a person by name... than simply asking "Is the owner in". Even if that person no longer exists, or if the business on your list no longer exists, you now have a starting point to strike up a conversation.

I try to visit atleast 20 new business a week (small mom and pop shops, bakeries, dental offices, etc), most of the time the owner is never there so I try to chat up with the employees and try to get on their good side. I try to drop off a flyer with some info on what im offering (BOE, group plans, retirment planning, etc) and some goodies (pens, notepads, etc). The first time you visit, your most likely going to get blown off as another salesman, but by the second or third visit you might have gotten a little more rapport. Persistence is key

If I get an appointment through telemarketing (my main form of marketing) I look on sales genie to see if there are any similar businesses or other niche target businesses in the area. Then I drop in either before or after my scheduled appointment. I do my usual pre call homework so I know who to ask for, their WC X Mod, carrier and X date. I have a small packet with insurance related info for their industry. I also have a gift like a $5 Starbucks gift card, box of girlscout cookies or movie tickets for the gatekeeper so she remembers me in the future. I work on middle market commercial accounts so I can afford to invest a little more on the front end.

If I get an appointment through telemarketing (my main form of marketing) I look on sales genie to see if there are any similar businesses or other niche target businesses in the area. Then I drop in either before or after my scheduled appointment. I do my usual pre call homework so I know who to ask for, their WC X Mod, carrier and X date. I have a small packet with insurance related info for their industry. I also have a gift like a $5 Starbucks gift card, box of girlscout cookies or movie tickets for the gatekeeper so she remembers me in the future. I work on middle market commercial accounts so I can afford to invest a little more on the front end.

Thanks for the replies! Bertolinoins, I'm curious, how are you doing your telemarketing? I like your approach for sure.

What do you do for "pre call homework"? Is there a source for their current carrier and X-date, or that is what you ask for when you are there? I like the small gift idea, $3.50 shameless bribes work amazingly well and my girlfriend has enough Girl Scout cookies in her garage to open a store.

I'm about as far from shy as they come, but have been battling call reluctance in a big way even after my success the other day. I think its mainly because I've got a big ego and dont know what I'm doing and dont like looking like an ***. This kind of structure and purpose would go a long way in my case, I think- thanks for the info!

One last thing, what do you call 'middle market'? The agency I'm at does a lot of builders and contractors, and they've taken a beating here lately. Their other main markets are restaurants and car lots but I want to expand that.

I canvas and street walk "middle" market clients as well because they are often overlooked by the two large broker agencies in my area. The storefront's like SF, Allstate, and nationwide are too busy servicing their existing BOB and writing personal lines. My focus is on garage liability, restaurants and contractors. I refuse to give anyone anything of tangible value. The way I see it is this. If Im going to help you save money and provide a unique service and you do not see the value then I'm not wasting my time with gift cards, cookies, pens and other items.

Since I've only been with my current agency for a few months now I spend all my time making cold calls and getting x-dates. I have had pretty good success thus far. You would be amazed at the number of agents who refuse to get in their car and network and talk with owners.

Thanks for the replies! Bertolinoins, I'm curious, how are you doing your telemarketing? I like your approach for sure.

What do you do for "pre call homework"? Is there a source for their current carrier and X-date, or that is what you ask for when you are there? I like the small gift idea, $3.50 shameless bribes work amazingly well and my girlfriend has enough Girl Scout cookies in her garage to open a store.

I'm about as far from shy as they come, but have been battling call reluctance in a big way even after my success the other day. I think its mainly because I've got a big ego and dont know what I'm doing and dont like looking like an ***. This kind of structure and purpose would go a long way in my case, I think- thanks for the info!

One last thing, what do you call 'middle market'? The agency I'm at does a lot of builders and contractors, and they've taken a beating here lately. Their other main markets are restaurants and car lots but I want to expand that.

I have 4 niches that I target and I telemarketed to that group for my first 5 years in the business. Now I have a full time telemarketer who sets appointments for me and my agents. Telemarketing sucks but it is something you have to do until you can afford to outsource it. It is like working out... you have to do it and eventually it doesn't bother you. Build an X date list and work it consistently. I have a 100-150 mile radius from my hometown of Sacramento that I work on. If my appointment setter gets an appointment in a city more that 30 mins away she will run a search on sales genie for prospects in the area. She will call and tell them I will be in the area dropping by. I run their X mods on compline and see if I can get any info on the CSLB, Datalister, DOT, Manta, google, etc. then I put together a small industry specific packet for the prospects I am visiting. Usually it is all in the same industry because you are going to a transportation hub for truckers, industrial park for contractors or Manufacturers, etc. It is quick and simple after you get the hang of it. Middle market for me is anything over $25k in premium for all P&C lines.

Back