Anybody out there work for New York Life?

Exactly. I've already had money in the bank in my mind that never materialized. Anyone considering the business has to understand that only a percentage of that which looks promising will materialize. How much that percentage is depends on YOU somewhat, but it will never be near 100%. And, once in a while, you get something that you didn't think would amount to a sale that wants to buy, but that doesn't happen nearly enough to offset the disappointments.

I think this is one reason shooting for 10 applications a month in the life buisness is a good goal. I personally don't see the vast majority or agents hitting this, but if you get 5 out of 10 you can still do well. Those agents that are doing 10+ apps a months are the ones not complaining about not having enought commission.

I think this is one reason shooting for 10 applications a month in the life buisness is a good goal. I personally don't see the vast majority or agents hitting this, but if you get 5 out of 10 you can still do well. Those agents that are doing 10+ apps a months are the ones not complaining about not having enought commission.

Yeah, I hear the "10 per month" thing too (Gee wonder why? LOL) and I'm not even remotely close to that. Fortunately, what I have sold has all been decent premium and a substantial annuity. Yet, I have no idea how these guys hit 10 per month consistently. They preach it, but the reality is almost no one in our office qualified for Shared Success. Just a handful of agents.

Hey Lisa
Just wanted to see if you'd had your 2nd interview with NYL yet? I'm in the same boat as you, I go to my 3rd and final interview with NYL on Monday, I'm pretty confident the job is mine if I want it, I just have to determine if I want it. I've also got my 3rd and final with Guardian, totally different approach to the business, but seems to have the same backing as far as support and training goes. Tough call on either, guess it will come down to where and who I feel the most comfortable with. Let us know how it goes and good luck in the interview.
Later
Roger

Hey Lisa
I've also got my 3rd and final with Guardian, totally different approach to the business, but seems to have the same backing as far as support and training goes.

Just curious, how do you feel these two companies differ?

Tough call on either, guess it will come down to where and who I feel the most comfortable with.

Yes. Both are great companies. Go with who you feel can most relate to you and offer support to you. Don't get into a bad situation with a boss like I have. If you find someone you like working for, will train you, will hold you accountable and yet be reasonable in his expectations, and you're willing to do the prospecting and your part, you'll have a good chance of success and it won't matter much which logo is on your business card.

NHB- "If you find someone you like working for, will train you, will hold you accountable and yet be reasonable in his expectations, and you're willing to do the prospecting and your part, you'll have a good chance of success and it won't matter much which logo is on your business card."

Exactly!

That is why I keep pounding on interviewing the manager and current agents.

NHB AND MIBIZ I totally agree with you on interviewing the manager and the agents, in fact for my 3rd interview with Guardian that is part of the interview, and thanks to everyone in this forum I will be loaded for bear with questions to ask. NHB, in answer to your question, the way I understand Guardian is that they are more the financial planner end of the spectrum, you go out and talk to people, offer to do a complete financial analysis in their situation and then show them how to set themselves up better for a minimal or maybe even no increase. The program is free to the potential client and if they choose to use Guardian's Products great if not they are under no obligation. So it sounds to me like they are more service oriented first and then product oriented but I'm a Newbie so maybe they put a spin on it and it's all the same. Well we will see.
Later
Roger

NHB AND MIBIZ I totally agree with you on interviewing the manager and the agents, in fact for my 3rd interview with Guardian that is part of the interview, and thanks to everyone in this forum I will be loaded for bear with questions to ask. NHB, in answer to your question, the way I understand Guardian is that they are more the financial planner end of the spectrum, you go out and talk to people, offer to do a complete financial analysis in their situation and then show them how to set themselves up better for a minimal or maybe even no increase. The program is free to the potential client and if they choose to use Guardian's Products great if not they are under no obligation. So it sounds to me like they are more service oriented first and then product oriented but I'm a Newbie so maybe they put a spin on it and it's all the same. Well we will see.
Later
Roger

As long as you are a big believer in WL and using LEAP or a similiar program.

Later
Roger

NYL does pretty much the same thing. It's all about a comprehensive factfinding job.

Hey Lisa
Just wanted to see if you'd had your 2nd interview with NYL yet? I'm in the same boat as you, I go to my 3rd and final interview with NYL on Monday, I'm pretty confident the job is mine if I want it, I just have to determine if I want it. I've also got my 3rd and final with Guardian, totally different approach to the business, but seems to have the same backing as far as support and training goes. Tough call on either, guess it will come down to where and who I feel the most comfortable with. Let us know how it goes and good luck in the interview.
Later
Roger

Yes I had my 3rd interview on Wednesday, but ironically after my 2nd interview when leaving the building I rode the elevator down with one of their agents. I quickly struck up a conversation with him and found that he has been working there for 8 years, and finds the current manager, who has been there for 3 years very helpful. They basically offered me the position, although I am thinking it out at this point as it would be a career change for me.

Yes I had my 3rd interview on Wednesday, but ironically after my 2nd interview when leaving the building I rode the elevator down with one of their agents. I quickly struck up a conversation with him and found that he has been working there for 8 years, and finds the current manager, who has been there for 3 years very helpful. They basically offered me the position, although I am thinking it out at this point as it would be a career change for me.

It's worth saying again: I can't begin to tell you how important a good manager is. Mine will tell me everything I'm doing wrong, what an *** I am, etc. but never tell me what I need to do besides "talk to people". I avoid the office like the plague but must go in a couple times per week and I can hardly sleep the night before, knowing I'll have to deal with him.

Back