Assurant Submission

I just wrote my first few Assurant cases.. What kind of turn around time have you all seen with underwriting and getting paid?

As stated - 1 day to 2 months. My average case without any conditions is 1 or 2 days. My average case with pre-ex conditions is 4 to 5 days.

A hang-up will be when the client needs to call for further medical info. If you're putting cases in where the client has a pre-ex condition, count on Assurant wanting to talk to them. That's fine, but if the client takes a week to call in that's a problem.

When I get open requirements for the client to call what I'll do is call the client myself then three-way the call. Just telling the client to make the call then hanging up is an accident waiting to happen.

If an APS is ordered you're talking one month....at least. It's very important if an APS is ordered to make sure they're getting the records from the right doctor! Some clients with 2 or 3 conditions will see different doctors. The info they give to Assurant might be their primary care doctor when in fact they need records from his cardiologist.

Assurant will also accept records faxed in from the doctors office. So if the client has a decent relationship with their physician they can call and get the records faxed. Then you don't have to dick around with ESMI. That's the path I always take and very rarely does a doctor say no.

Another hang up in underwriting is failing to provide all the info needed. If it's high cholesterol did you note the last reading? Triglycerides? HDL ratio? Did you note the dosage and frequency of the meds?

You cannot provide too much information on any pre-ex condition. Another hang up with Assurant if you're using EASE is the client verification. I have all of my clients verfiy the app at the time of submission. Most agents don't and now it's 2 to 7 days to track the client down to get them to verify the app.

Last edited:
John, you can transfer every single piece if data on your comp, without worrying about forgetting some of it, very easily and quickly. Windows comes with an export manager that walks you right through it.

Listen, my cell phone is 4 years old and cost $9.95. Our TV? Had it since we've been married.....10 years. Car? 7 years old - zero plans to buy a new one. For me if it works it ain't getting replaced.

Ways of submitting Assurant business:

EASE: Online 17 question app - goes back 5 years for health history but 10 for cancer. For almost all pre-ex conditions Assurant will put "client must call." Why? Simple - the EASE app doesn't prompt agents to go over specific medical info like the paper app. The paper app lists probably 75 different specific conditions and you're to read over every one. The client's memory is jogged; "Oh.....yeah I forgot about bronchitis." But with EASE a new agent is just asking "Ummmmm.....anything you've sought treatment for?" If the client wants to just get it over with they don't take time and think - just say "don't think so." The agent goes "Great! question 5!"

Tele-app: With this method you just log in their personal info, but they do the health history interview over the phone. For liability this method can't be beat - you're completely out of the picture. However, chatty clients who don't know how to word things can shoot themselves in the foot.

Paper App: If you're a new agent you should at least read the paper app and have it next to you if you're doing an EASE app. If a client is claiming they don't have ANY pre-existing conditions I'd really recommend you start reading conditions off the paper app. No one's gonna beat the system here people - might as well catch it while doing the app. Important to note that the agent answers questions after the app is submitted as to more medical info, not the client.

Note: If you're a new agent pleeeeease do a proper app! Claims review WILL catch anything not noted on the app. There's almost no such thing as a "clean" app unless your client has never see a doctor in the past 5 years (if you're using EASE.) About 90% of every app I submit has a condition noted. It might have been full recovery but it still has to be noted.

Last edited:
I almost never see clients face to face but I can see where something like a wireless internet connection can be useful. Another help would be something like http://gotomypc.com to find stuff stored on your desktop.

Asking a client info such as doctors address & phone is a challenge, as is getting the correct spelling. When I can't find the doc in the PPO online directory (usually not the best source) I will first look them up at WebMD

http://doctor.webmd.com/physician_finder/home.aspx?sponsor=core

This gives me the correct spelling, address & zip that can be cross referenced against the bookmarked PPO directories.

Listen, my cell phone is 4 years old and cost $9.95. Our TV? Had it since we've been married.....10 years. Car? 7 years old - zero plans to buy a new one. For me if it works it ain't getting replaced.

But business is business-if you go out to see clients the ROI on upgrading your equipment is one extra deal in the first month. I have been suffering with a battery that only runs for about an hour before discharging and didn't want to pay $160 for an extended life one-I bought an off brand one for $100-it didn't charge-they replaced it with only a return shipping charge-it ran for 3 weeks and the computer failed completely-I returned it again for a refund and now, a month later, just ordered the real HP version so will have a battery that will run for 4 hours without power. The benefit for me? If I'm in between appointments and have 20 minutes, I can sit in my car, turn on my computer without worrrying about it shutting down, and start making phone calls following up with active clients-if someone wants to enroll, I can do it on the spot.

But business is business-if you go out to see clients the ROI on upgrading your equipment is one extra deal in the first month. I have been suffering with a battery that only runs for about an hour before discharging and didn't want to pay $160 for an extended life one-I bought an off brand one for $100-it didn't charge-they replaced it with only a return shipping charge-it ran for 3 weeks and the computer failed completely-I returned it again for a refund and now, a month later, just ordered the real HP version so will have a battery that will run for 4 hours without power. The benefit for me? If I'm in between appointments and have 20 minutes, I can sit in my car, turn on my computer without worrrying about it shutting down, and start making phone calls following up with active clients-if someone wants to enroll, I can do it on the spot.

Mike....I don't have any money for stuff like that. Now I'll see you next month when I'm in Disney.

Mike....I don't have any money for stuff like that. Now I'll see you next month when I'm in Disney.

John, as you know, you'll spend more money in the Disney gift shop in 20 minutes than the cost of all of the above. And, if you hit Downtown Disney, you may wind up having to make some sales calls with me while you're here:biggrin:

Back