Atlanta Kicks Dave Ramsey to the Curb

XRAC is right on with Crown Financial. The founder, Larry Burkett, was a Godly man who cared about helping people and not helping his wallet.

XRAC is right on with Crown Financial. The founder, Larry Burkett, was a Godly man who cared about helping people and not helping his wallet.

You are right about Larry Burkett and Larry picked Howard Dayton to be his successor and the head of the ministry before Larry died of cancer. I was in Howard Dayton's home a few years ago. It is a fairly modest middle class home in Gainesville, GA (remember Dave Ramsey has a huge mansion) and Howard Dayton's wife was driving a 17 year old Volvo station wagon. I was very impressed with them. I think they are the real thing.

You are right about Larry Burkett and Larry picked Howard Dayton to be his successor and the head of the ministry before Larry died of cancer. I was in Howard Dayton's home a few years ago. It is a fairly modest middle class home in Gainesville, GA (remember Dave Ramsey has a huge mansion) and Howard Dayton's wife was driving a 17 year old Volvo station wagon. I was very impressed with them. I think they are the real thing.

Dave Ramsey can't even touch the quality of Crown Financial. I'm only 26, but I started reading Burkett's materials in my teens and throughout college. Crown doesn't run their organization to line their own pockets.
I've read Dave's stuff as well. He is a sound-byte. There is no substance.

And, in my humble opinion, he is shady. He wants to sell his stuff - he knows churches will buy - so he "adds a little bit of God to the equation" in hopes of capturing the huge "market."

In short - Dave gives his own advice in his literature and on his show, then to capture the church audience, he adds a little bit of Scripture as almost saying "I bet God would endorse my genius plan." To Dave Ramsey - Scripture is a footnote to his great financial advice. And churches buy it :skeptical:

Crown seems to operate from a different perspective - they start with building the biblical foundation and formulate a financial plan from that foundation.

Dave is a fantastic marketer and speaker. He mixes the common sense of "live on less than you make" and "pay off all debts" with all the the other stuff he wants you to buy into so that some of it is undisputedly correct so he hopes you will swallow the rest.
He also slides in and out of paid endorsements right in the middle of his show so the listener can"t easily tell when they are being pitched. This was a technique that Paul Harvey used also.
Dave also makes great use of the mute button. He doesn't allow any callers to tell that they succeeded in life doing the opposite of what Dave sells. He mutes them and explains have they will soon be broke if they don't follow his system. Their silence comes across as agreement to the listener.

.....I've read Dave's stuff as well. He is a sound-byte. There is no substance. And, in my humble opinion, he is shady. He wants to sell his stuff - he knows churches will buy - so he "adds a little bit of God to the equation" in hopes of capturing the huge "market."

In short - Dave gives his own advice in his literature and on his show, then to capture the church audience, he adds a little bit of Scripture as almost saying "I bet God would endorse my genius plan." To Dave Ramsey - Scripture is a footnote to his great financial advice. And churches buy it :skeptical:......

Well said, that sums up how I feel about Ramsey other than adding the fact that he gives bad advice about life insurances and tells people they can average 12% in mutual funds.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dave is a fantastic marketer and speaker.......He also slides in and out of paid endorsements right in the middle of his show so the listener can"t easily tell when they are being pitched. This was a technique that Paul Harvey used also.......

That is true about Paul Harvey but Harvey was a genuinely likeable upbeat personality. I think Ramsey is a self centered JERK.

Last edited:
Dave reportedly has a financial interest in Zander (his super-preferred insurance agency). Seems a bit of a conflict to his life ELP's.

Last night I recalled a local roofer runs commercials with a DR voice-over, so I guess the mattress guy isn't so unusual.

Dave reportedly has a financial interest in Zander (his super-preferred insurance agency). Seems a bit of a conflict to his life ELP's.

Last night I recalled a local roofer runs commercials with a DR voice-over, so I guess the mattress guy isn't so unusual.

Dave doesn't have life ELPs.

His Zander Agency is the ONLY place that Dave recommends for life insurance.

I did use some of Dave's advise to help me get out of debt. IMHO that is what he should limit himself to debt advice. The following information was taken from Zander's web site. This is a sampling of Dave's advice/opinions/teachings about life insurance.
LIFE INSURANCE

DO:

Term Life Insurance Only! Typically recommended is an amount equal to 10 times your income on 15 or 20 year guaranteed level term plans. Companies rated “A” or better are acceptable. Be sure to protect your spouse whether working or not and consider only small add on riders for children ($10,000-20,000).
DON’T:

Purchase any type of Cash Value plan including Whole, Universal or Variable Life which accumulate savings. Stay away from Return of Premium Plans since they are just another form of Cash Value plans. All of these plans are too expensive and horrible savings plans. Also, don’t buy riders such as Accidental Death or Waiver of Premium on any life insurance policies. Don’t fall prey to sales tactics that are based on emotions, confusion or savings/tax features.

His advice/teachings about insurance and investing borders on irresponsibility.

It does not surprise me that he has a financial stake in Zander Insurance.

His advice/teachings about Life insurance and investing are malpractice. First of all, he is recommending solutions to people with a "one-siz-fits-all" approach. Screw any kind of fact-finder. Secondly, is he actually licensed to give advice on either insurance or investments?

Back