Bankers Life and Casualty?

Re: Opinion of Bankers Life and Casualty

Quite a few years ago I thought I wanted to work with them. I was invited to attend a training meeting with their established agents. At the meeting, after seeing the quality of their field force I walked away at a break and did not come back.

That's what I was afraid of. I signed on without weighing the pros and cons and my contract has a 2yr non-compete. Not sure what to do but show up for work like I have been.

Any advice

That's what I was afraid of. I signed on without weighing the pros and cons and my contract has a 2yr non-compete. Not sure what to do but show up for work like I have been.

Any advice

Depends on what state you live in. In CA non-compete clauses are virtually worthless. Most courts have held that low-level people like agents and wage-slaves are not bound by contractual non-competes as it is not legal to interfere with a person's right to make a living.

I would go ahead and do whatever you want to and simply ignore the contract. Bankers is NOT going to go after you... and if they do... you will be the most famous agent in the country..ifI you know how to play the media.

Al

I'm trying to decide if I should still report for work and watch how they handle the qualified leads I got for this week via telemarketing?

Is my branch office reputable?
Why are they asking me to schedule appointments that are not geographically near each other and give the impression that the better qualified ones will be seen and the poorer ones will be shuffled to another date and time. Meanwhile, I called these people using my good name and set up a time that I'd be there.
Why are some of these leads pissed that we keep calling them?

I don't know what to do.

Thanks...

From what I have read about Bankers, they make some promises up front but things change after your are on board. When a company has recruiting ads on Monster that never go off, you wonder of it is an agent factory. Churn and Burn.
I'm sure the company is a fine company but the captive situation isn't offering the client the best product in some cases.

If you are a new agent and need to get trained consider a company like New York Life, Lincoln Financial, Mass Mutual, or even Met Life. I started with Lincoln and received great training with a subsidy that they paid for 2 years until I built up the commission side. These are captive companies but usually have agreements with products they don't handle. When I was there I always used companies outside if it wasn't best for my client. I was sure to give them enough business to keep them happy.

Then you realize one day, going independant was the best deal all around.

Good Luck with your decision.

Last edited:

worked for bankers for a time ...completely worthless establishment...liars, pushers, unintelligent management who strongarm the senior market

Why not go independent and or work with a General Agent? You can offer your clients more products and better rates that meet their needs.

Sagamore..... go independent! You'll be able to offer your clients more, and make more money. Why are you scheduling appointments??? Get used to selling via the internet and you'll never go back to belly to belly. This past week I wrote close to $36,000 AV sitting at home in my sweat pants. Join the Association and learn how to do this.

Mr. C
Are you talking health or life or both you sell in your sweatpants?

I worked for them for a short time in 1994 or 1995, it's been a while ago. Not impressed.

BTW, you cannot judge { over the phone} who is the poorer or the worst appointment -- till you go. Never pre-judge till you go.
Some of my better sales have come when I thought for sure nothing was happening in that house, and some of the worst "let downs" have come when I thought for sure somebody was buying, before I went there to see them. When a manager is telling you where and when to geographically schedule appointments, and whom to blow off, based on where he thinks that person lives -{ i.e. the wrong side of town} --then it is time to go, for sure.

Back