Becoming Motivated?

Go out and get a hourly job, get a manager like I was you did what I told you to do and act like you liked it and loved it. I didn't give a rats ass if you hated the duties, just do them and do them well, people been doing this for years now, since man started businesses, been a while. Now the same person goes out and tries to sell as an independent agent. Yet no one is there with the Golden Hammer, most will fail. Motivation will not carry the day, either you step up and do what is necerssary or you'll soon be gone. Its really that simple, as Nike states, just do it. Sooner or later it becomes a habit and the road gets easy as those habits are developed.

It has nothing to do with motivation, that is for people that want to sell books talk about. Forget motivation and learn what it is about your product that gives you the desire to want to sell it! Habits and a passion for what you do will create all the motivation you need.

In other words, motivation is a byproduct of desire, the only way to continue is via developing habits for every day activities. It is like working out, first it sucks but, as time goes on and it becomes a habit it actually becomes something you look forward to.

Ps, a simple To-Do List is a lifesaver.

A hearty "Amen!" to the "to do" list!! I would be completely lost without one.

BTW... Microsoft Office has a "Task Manager" that is very helpful. My list is always looking over my shoulder!

Many, many years ago I ran into this guy who sold jewelry the six weeks up to Christmas on the sidewalk in front of a large department store in downtown LA. I got to talking to him and he said that 80% of his annual income came from these six weeks.

I was taken aback by that. Also, he volunteered that he made a lot of money, "In six weeks!" I asked, "How?"

"Money is an attitude. And I have a great attitude."

That's all the motivation I need.

In other words, motivation is a byproduct of desire, the only way to continue is via developing habits for every day activities. It is like working out, first it sucks but, as time goes on and it becomes a habit it actually becomes something you look forward to.

Wow, I never heard it put that way before! Awesome post James.

Prospecting for me is exactly like working out - very little difference.

If I don't work out I gain weight and feel bad about myself - motivation starts to slip along with my attitude.

I do not look forward to working out but actually enjoy the workouts once they begin. When I'm finished I feel fantastic.

No difference. Do not look forward to prospecting but once I'm doing it I have fun and feel great - fantastic sense of accomplishment when I'm done.

And like working out it's a habit or it's not.

I think that we are missing the point.

Of all that you needed was a plan, anyone would be able to succeed in sales.

If all you needed was to call a certain amount of people, or turn on the TV in the background we would all be doing it.

Here is the problem as I see it, and PS the same thing happened to me last year.

You have some big deal that gets in the way of your Insurance Sales. For you it was a big land deal, for me a real-estate deal.

Now you are trying to get Motivated, and everyone is telling you about what you should do, but there is one problem.

If you were like I was you are damaged goods! As much as you probally told yourself that you knew that the land deal would take some time, and as much money as it may or may not have made you, as far as insurance goes you are defeated. (more or less)

The problem with getting motivated does not have to do with your systems, or how many people you call. It has to do with the fact that you are a sales person (if you are in insurance) and even if you were doing other things the fact that you have not produced as much as you used to has an effect on your head.

OK MAYBE NOT YOU, BUT I AM SURE THAT THIS MAY APPLY TO MANY OTHER AGENTS< BECAUSE I KNOW THAT I AM NOT ALONE>

I focused last year on a Real-estate deal that was to make me much more $$ than what I lost in insurance commissions. That was what I firast thought.

3-4 months and I will be done, and then back to Insurance. But that is not what happened.

Each month that I worked on the Real Estate deal my Confidence went lower and lower. Hey I knew why my production was down, but no one else did. We are all very competative and so don't tell me that does not hurt.

At the end of the 4 months I felt about 2 inches tall. Not because I was failing, but because I knew that I was supposed to do more.

It is easy to look at the situation and think that it will be easy, but wait until your pruduction gets cut in half and lower, and then think about how you feel. Even though you know that you have to work on that "big land deal" you still deal with the negative emotions of not producing.

Well at least that was my expierence.

What comes next? You loose motivation.... Why?

For me it was because you forget how long it takes to get back to where you were. It is easy to say that you should just make so many calls, etc. but at the end of the month you think that you should be so much further ahead, but you arent.

The reality that we all forget is that it takes some time to get the book moving again, to benifit from your prospecting activities, and yet the fact that you are not doing the amount of apps that you figured that you would makes you feel a little helpless, and less motivated.

The solution?

Althought it may be different for everyone, for me it was small victories. Forget about the monthly goal, bring in daily victories. Build back up your confidence thru small victories and small wins. Once that happens you will have your motivation.

Just my 2 cents.

PS

Sorry for the ramble, but I know that we all face the same battles, and if this can help someone avoid the 6 months of frustration then it is well served.

PPS. I am an agent, and do not sell any kind of SALES or PROGRAMS for AGENTS as I have seen lately about new posts and spam. So no sales pitch here, just using the forum as it was made to be used. To share!

Ahnuld, isn't that the first name of the Governor of California? Are you really Schwarznegger in disguise?:goofy:

Vat bist du saying? Yust becaze I am frum Kal-ee-foRe-nee-AH makes me not the gubernator, nein.

I hurt you now. Don't look Maria.

On a serious note:

healthagent and NWInsurance have put down some serious points. I think what they are saying is that there is no Silver Bullet. Each of us has to reach deep down within and find that element — fortitude, courage, gumption, mettle, true grit, whatever — that will pull us through and gets back on track.

I think I got it, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
You can read all the sales books you want, read all the posts, talk to other people. It is all worthless if you do not apply what you have learned with clear and focused goals (or a To-Do List).

Back