Best Cell Phone for Agents and Why?

the insurance business just does not seem to want to work with [iMacs] them... sorry al3

No apology needed. It all depends on what your needs are. It is true that the insurance industry is PC and IE centric, but it is changing each day. While there are still carriers that "require" you to use IE, there are not as many any more... and I find that the free Opera browser will render or run sites that FireFox and Safari won't.

Anyway, if your PC works for you, that's what you should use. Personally, I find them poorly designed and poorly manufactured and they come with an insecure and unstable operating system. Others think PCs are great. Whatever floats your boat!

Al

This is an easy one. I present to you Gordon Gecko...

Attachments

• gecko.gif
    gecko.gif
    45 KB · Views: 3
Hmmm. Will an iMac be next for the man who loves his Windows PC? :D

I think I'm the only agent on the planet who runs an agency with Apple equipment. No crashes, no viruses, no spyware... everything just works.

Nope.. There's 2 of us!

I use VMWare for those devilish Windows apps.
And yes, I have an iPhone.

Sprint simply everything plan along with a blackberry curve. $99 a month. You get unlimited minutes, text, internet, email, gps. Also at no additional cost, you can hook up your blackberry to your computer and use it as a modem. Phenomenal deal and about $600 cheaper than any other carriers comparable plan.

Sprint simply everything plan along with a blackberry curve. $99 a month. You get unlimited minutes, text, internet, email, gps. Also at no additional cost, you can hook up your blackberry to your computer and use it as a modem. Phenomenal deal and about $600 cheaper than any other carriers comparable plan.
How do you hook it up to your laptop? I called sprint and they said that is not an option?

You buy a data cable from a 3rd party. It can be done, they just don't promote or support it and have not for several years. The last Sprint phone I had I bought the cable online. I think I used DataPilot.

Sprint coverage can suck. Be careful that the phone you buy works where you work. Cell phone service is NOT a one size fits all. I come from a cell phone background and have been a dealer for nearly all of them and a VP for Sprint. None of them are perfect and you have to consider coverage as your primary concern.

You now have the ability to duel boot windows and mac os on a mac, making the mac even more superior to the pc.

No apology needed. It all depends on what your needs are. It is true that the insurance industry is PC and IE centric, but it is changing each day. While there are still carriers that "require" you to use IE, there are not as many any more... and I find that the free Opera browser will render or run sites that FireFox and Safari won't.

Anyway, if your PC works for you, that's what you should use. Personally, I find them poorly designed and poorly manufactured and they come with an insecure and unstable operating system. Others think PCs are great. Whatever floats your boat!

Al

You now have the ability to duel boot windows and mac os on a mac, making the mac even more superior to the pc.

Dual boot mean you run one operating system at a time.

Another option is to run them both at the SAME time via a virtualization program that acts as sort of a "middleman" for the "guest" operating system... in this case Windows.

You install a product called Parallels or VMWare (both about $70) or VirtualBox (free.) You then follow the bouncing ball to install Windows (takes about 30 minutes.) When done you can then, with one click, start up Windows on the Mac. Vista or XP is just another "window" on your Mac... like Mail or Firefox or iTunes, etc. Here is an example.

parallels_on_mac_450.jpg

I swear, it's amazing how well it works... sound, video, the whole thing... and Windows runs FAST. The only catch is you should have 2 GB of memory. I run it in 1 GB and while Windows is fast, the Mac starts of slow down. I'd get more memory but I only run Windows a few minutes a week... mostly to run quotes for Ohio National who use proprietary quoting software. My next Mac will have far more memory.

The Mac rocks for me... but as always... YMMV.

Al
Preserve your memories

Back