Best Laptop To Use and Which to Avoid

I've often thought about buying a Surface Pro tablet computer, but the idea of spending $2k on a computer that I can't fix or upgrade... just make them very expensive disposable computers. I kept my last laptop for 5 1/2 years and I simply prefer REAL computers. I've also got an Apple iPad... and I apparently don't "get" what the big deal is about them. They're fun, and some basic functionality, but that's about it.

You can get a pretty decent surface for under a grand and if you go just a touch over a grand you can get one that's pretty decently powered. The real difference is in the functionality. If you're not taking it out and about and either (1) find it more useful or (2) dazzling clients with it, odds are it doesn't make any sense. I think an argument could be made for electronic signatures, but I believe Newby mentioned some agents getting in a LOT of trouble for doing electronic signatures instead of ink.

I doubt for the average agent it makes much of a difference, but if you were trying to do illustrations and financial planning for folks, having a fancy toy can help you look smart :)

You can get a pretty decent surface for under a grand and if you go just a touch over a grand you can get one that's pretty decently powered. The real difference is in the functionality. If you're not taking it out and about and either (1) find it more useful or (2) dazzling clients with it, odds are it doesn't make any sense. I think an argument could be made for electronic signatures, but I believe Newby mentioned some agents getting in a LOT of trouble for doing electronic signatures instead of ink.

I doubt for the average agent it makes much of a difference, but if you were trying to do illustrations and financial planning for folks, having a fancy toy can help you look smart :)

I have been using a Surface Pro as my main computer for about 3 years. Before that another laptop. I have not used a desktop as my main computer in many years.

I always use docking stations so I just click and go. On my current setup, my Surface is on an elevated stand to left that I keep certain programs open on and a 24" monitor on the right I work on. Full-size wireless keyboard and I am golden.

I like the touch screen and stylus for use filling in applications and forms. Also being a gentleman of a certain age being able to pinch the screen larger or smaller is convenient.

I bought the surface pro and docking station as refurbs on Ebay 3 years ago. zero issues. I keep thinking I want a newer version but this one does everything and more than I need. Very slim and It boots incredibly fast. I unclick it from the docking station and slip it into my case or my portfolio and I have my whole office with me.

I rarely use it as a tablet so a convertible touch screen laptop would probably be as good for me.

To cover a possibility of theft or accident, what is the modern approach to file backup to go with this approach to technology? Thanks.

All of my stuff uses two-step authentication, but it is NOT HIPAA compliant. I don't keep stuff like that. A good solution for that would probably be Box.com or nearly any other PAID online storage solution.

You should plan to keep your files for 7 years or longer.

----------

Maybe... but having a laptop computer that looks like I'm part of a larger institution... can make me look smart and mean business too.

3159302_160216125604_Dell-latitude-e62302.jpg

I have been using HP laptop for 5 yeas , I've had a lot of problems during this time. including forgot password for it and the laptop was locked.... and more ,
But i still enjoy it since these problems can be easy to solve

Last edited:
I have been using HP laptop for 5 yeas , I've had a lot of problems during this time. including forgot password for it and the laptop was locked.... and more ,
But i still enjoy it since these problems can be easy to solve
That's why I keep a list of all of my passwords. :yes:

Back