BMW = Success?

I think MB lost a whole generation of "yuppie" buyers with their poorly manufactured 190 series. I never bought another MB... and never will. Jackass Al

That is too bad! The MB's today are great cars! I am a self proclaimed car NUT!! The MB's I have owned have been the best cars of any luxury cars I have owned.

A couple of months ago I was in my 08 E-350 and I was hit from behind while sitting at a red light. The Honda that hit me was going about 50 MPH when it hit me. The Honda was totaled and the driver was injured. My car needed a new bumper and a new exhaust pipe, as for me I did not even have a headache. The new MB have headrests that explode forward if you are hit from behind. Believe me they work! I am considering only driving MB's as my daily driver moving forward.

Matt

Does anyone else remember the patent commericials MB was running in the late 90's?

I'll try to find one on youtube if I can. Basically they were saying in a very nice way that every safety design on other cars (specifically Swedish) were owned and patented by MB, although they felt safety was more important that enforcing the patent rights.

I had an incident awhile back girl backed into my front end with a Mitsubishi. Totaled her rear quarter panel and crumpled the entire back end. I had a broken marker light housing and scuff across the bumper.

Did a little research on the 190-E. It ran 4 cyl 1.5 liter until 1988 then they dropped it in favor of the larger V6 version with 2.6 liter engine. The re-introduced the larger 2.3 liter 4 cyl in 1991 or 1992 and had drastically improved quality.

The one Al had was likely the 1.5 liter 4 cyl 190-E that was available at that time. Much too small an engine for the bodyweight of the MB. No wonder it could not perform. That is why they dumped it three years later.

I have wondered this myself now and then as I drive around in my 98 corolla hehe. I will say though that it looks fairly good and only has about 80K miles on it. My clients know how much I drive and most know what I drive, I don't think any have looked down on it and I work business owners mostly.

I may break down and buy a newer Corolla or Camry eventually but having a paid off car is nice. I probably won't buy new because I hate babying a new car, with what I got I could care less when my cup of coffee spills and adds a new stain to the floor mat.

Besides, everybody knows all the ladies can't resist a guy driving a corolla. :biggrin:

Bms are cool but Mercedes rule. Mercedes safety has been at the forfront since the early 80s. Their last commercial said it all, the average mb driver won't need an suv that can traverse a 70 degree slope, but some will.

That being said, Bavarian Motor Works has come along way since the year 2000.

Perception is reality though. Some will think you have made it because of the car you drive, some will look at it a complete waste of money. If you think that a certain car will give you an extra boost of confidence, and you can afford, by all means buy it.

I have a very modest 2005 Mazda 3s, practical for gas and enough room for the kids in the back. When I am alone in the car the however, it's a rocket. Once the children have left the nest I will buy a real sports, whatever that will be in the year 2025, lol.;)

MB are a freaking trip. Tromp the accelerator and the computer sends a signal for high performance to the suspension system, which then drops to car into a lower, high performance mode. Hit a patch of ice and the system tells the wheels, independently, which way to adjust traction to overcome the slippage. Those Germans...LOL

Truthfully, I don't really think it much matters what anyone drives as long as it is clean and well cared-for.

For me, all technology and safey aside (MB is king in that), I want the heavy metal car. Japanese cars are very high quality but they use a very cheap steel, and it shows on impact tests. Your chances of walking away from a head-on are not good in a Honda, Toyota, Mitsu or Nissan. Much better odds in a German car.

Latest posts

Back