BNI Vs Chamber of Commerces

You would be surprised how easy it is to have referrals for a decent BNI group.

You can always find someone looking for an electrician, or a Mary Kay lady, or a shoe guy (i.e., such as a runner), or whatever. A lot of normal conversations will lead to referrals.

No penalties, just if you want business, you have to be seen as the guy who gives business as well.

Dan

For BNI,

are you penalized for not having referrals within the first few months?

do they typically look for established businesses?

Some groups look for people who are more established. Some don't care, and want everyone to build together. Some don't know what they're looking for. Every group is different.

You won't be penalized, because the referral networking is built on relationships. Spend time meeting 1-to-1 with everyone and getting to know who they are, what they do, and what type of client they are looking for and referrals will come.

If you are in a group for 3 months and can't find referrals to give, there is something wrong.

In even a halfway decent group, there will be other professionals that will benefit your clients, friends, etc. You just have to keep your ears open when talking to other people, all the time you'll hear needs mentioned that someone in your group can handle.

My business dress is at the cleaners.
Can I wear a business suit instead?????

I'd recommend test-driving both. The biggest key is the mentality of the group - is it populated with seasoned professionals who know how to nurture a networking relationship, or is it populated with wannabes who spend their time tossing their business card around like a Frisbee and then sitting around waiting for their phone to ring?

The best thing to do is start your own group. That way you control the members, meeting days, expectations, etc.

Last edited:
lol i mean what if i was a general contractor, do they care if i am in a suit or not?

I think a general contractor in a dress would get a lot of attention.

Wear whatever you'd wear to the chamber. If you'd show up to the Chamber of Commerce in coveralls that say "Bob", then go to BNI in it. If you'd wear a suit, wear a suit. If a tutu is more your style, well you're never going to be a ballerina so find something else to wear.

Back