Bodega with Beer Sales Coverage

Milkman1265

Guru
100+ Post Club
a deli/bodega/corner store with beer sales, are they open to a&b liability claims?

To my knowledge, is A&B of any liquor claims are due to getting intoxicated on premises, how does this work with deli grocery that sell beer.

if a patron trips and fall while buying liquor but was already intoxicated how does this GL claim play out?

Last edited:
their just buying it and leaving.

youre not allow to consume in public, but that does stop them.... they will be ask to leave and drink it somewhere else if they decide to drink it on premises

Well, the law is pretty clear everywhere that you are not supposed to sell alcohol to those that are visibly intoxicated or those reasonably suspected of being so. Doesn;t mean they won;t get a slip and fall claim every now and then, but they should be able to minimize them if they keep the drunks out.

but general liability does not cover claims related to liquor liability/ intoxicated falls.

but general liability does not cover claims related to liquor liability/ intoxicated falls.

Again, if they are not drinking on premises, and the owners do not allow an intoxicated person to purchase alcoholic beverages, there should be no worries. If a slip and fall occurs, let the carrier (and the adjuster) deal with determining if it was an alcohol related fall, and if so, who was to blame for the intoxication. It would not be a claim in which the insured was liable for getting them drunk in the first place, as long as the insured does not allow the consumption of alcoholic beverages on premises.

i see your point, i'm just looking for an argument for a niche market i am setting up for a potential producer.

i think most deli/convenience store do not have liquor liability added as coverage (based on what i've seen, a lot of brokers just quote BOP)

I'm trying to get an argument in to see the policy to make sure they are "properly" covered.

Now back to your point, then liquor liability is not needed right?
I think this ties in the "dram shop liability"

If they are selling liquor then there is an exposure and they need the coverage. Whether it is consumed on premise or off they still need the coverage.

Back