Buyer Beware of Short-Term Health plans

Here is an international Medical plan that AETNA is selling out of the united kingdom.
Anyone can buy it accept people living in United States. Insureds can use united states doctors and hospitals in the AETNA network.
The ACA has made individual insurance that is accessible to everyone else in the world illegally in the United States. (the land of the free)

https://www.aetnainternational.com/content/dam/aetna/pdfs/aetna-international/north-america/MHP-Brochure.pdf
Not that I disagree, but what's your point?

I'm pretty sure POTUS doesn't read the forum. Or Azar

What’s to stop a foreign Insurance company form a country like Mexico for instance designing a Major Medical Plan that is sold online that Americans can purchase. CMS nor the State Insurance commissioners would have jurisdiction if it was sold online without agent involvement. I’m surprised it hasn’t already happened. Mexico could create the North American Free Health Care Exchange. Allow Americans to purchase traditional Major Medical Plans Pre ACA. There is nothing the Government could do to stop it. Mexico would gladly pay for the wall if they took over the Individual health insurance market.

Trump would love to say that Obamacare forced all the Healthy people to buy insurance from Mexico.

Not sure if people want health insurance made in Mexico. Or the Philippines, Bulgaria, or Guatemala.

Not sure if people want health insurance made in Mexico. Or the Philippines, Bulgaria, or Guatemala.

Just to play devils advocate for a sec (and ignoring the regulatory issues the idea would have).

Americans have no issue at all trusting their lives to other products made in Mexico... like the car they drive their kids around in... or the car's seatbelts that saved their life in a wreck... or the tires... or the furnace keeping them from freezing to death in the winter... or AC units that keeps them from getting heat stroke in the summer... or the smoke alarm they trust to warn them of a house fire... etc. etc. etc. But they will have a problem with insurance contracts constructed there? Especially if it was significantly cheaper than the current options? Look at how people have jumped on health sharing plans, which are nothing but a huge black hole of "who knows"...

Of course that poster doesnt realize that the US can regulate commerce in the US, both online and person to person. And what people are not going to do in mass, is break the law.

I do understand that the U.S. can regulate commerce. However CMS and the State Insurance Dept. would not have authority or control over a website in Mexico that a Mexican insurance company could develop.

NAFTA is still in effect.

•Tariff reduction for motor vehicles and auto parts and automobile rules of origin.

•Expanded telecommunications trade.

•Reduced textile and apparel barriers.

•More free trade in agriculture. Mexican import licenses were immediately abolished, with most additional tariffs phased out over a 10-year period.

•Expanded trade in financial services.

•Opening of insurance markets.

•Increased investment opportunities.

•Liberalized regulation of land transportation.

There is nothing illegal about American Citizens purchasing insurance products from a Mexican insurance company. The regulation is how it’s sold. If sold in the states then department of insurance and CMS would have jurisdiction.

As ACA compliant premiums approach $50,000 a year for families it’s not farfetched that something like this could happen.

As far as people not wanting insurance from foreign companies Americans do it every day.

AFLC, Alliance, Loyds, Fortes and about a 1000 others.

I do understand that the U.S. can regulate commerce. However CMS and the State Insurance Dept. would not have authority or control over a website in Mexico that a Mexican insurance company could develop.

NAFTA is still in effect.

•Tariff reduction for motor vehicles and auto parts and automobile rules of origin.

•Expanded telecommunications trade.

•Reduced textile and apparel barriers.

•More free trade in agriculture. Mexican import licenses were immediately abolished, with most additional tariffs phased out over a 10-year period.

•Expanded trade in financial services.

•Opening of insurance markets.

•Increased investment opportunities.

•Liberalized regulation of land transportation.

There is nothing illegal about American Citizens purchasing insurance products from a Mexican insurance company. The regulation is how it’s sold. If sold in the states then department of insurance and CMS would have jurisdiction.

As ACA compliant premiums approach $50,000 a year for families it’s not farfetched that something like this could happen.

As far as people not wanting insurance from foreign companies Americans do it every day.

AFLC, Alliance, Loyds, Fortes and about a 1000 others.

My response to this is the same as people fighting for states lines to disappear. A giant shrug of the shoulders and a roll of the eyes.

What is your expectation? That some Mexican insurance company is going to come to the states, build a network and start selling policies? Good luck with that.

No my point is the article talks about STM undermining the individual insurance market.

The Individual insurance market has already been destroyed with $40,000 annual premiums for families from coast to coast. The exchange has become nothing more than a bill paying service for the individuals receiving tax credits.

STM plans are Band-Aids for the population not currently being served by the individual market. My example was just an off the wall hypothetical of what could one day happen if the U.S. continues to make serving a portion of its population illegal.

Health insurance was once sold without networks. Still is traditional fee for service in some parts of the free world. America just is part of the land of the free anymore

Back