Calling Directly from Computer with Google Voice?

Why waste precious time you can never recover by being on the phone with rude people! Send direct mailers for about the same cost as a telemarketing list, or hold a seminar. You'll thank me later!

Why waste precious time you can never recover by being on the phone with rude people! Send direct mailers for about the same cost as a telemarketing list, or hold a seminar. You'll thank me later!

WHAT? I think you but this post on the wrong thread. LOL

This one is about Google Voice. Just tech stuff.

Okay, full disclosure, my 800 number is still with ringcentral (as is my faxing) so I just forward it to my google voice number.

I don't get a lot of 800 number calls, so it stays well within my allotment of minutes.

Dan

I figured I'd post this again just in case it got lost in the mix...

I'm not a big fan of dialing with google voice, even less of a fan of trying to answer an incoming call. It works, sounds decent, just a bit cumbersome for me.

I use a device that allows me to use my regular phone, then I use a headset on the phone. It works AMAZINGLY well for me and the overall cost is great.

Amazon.com: OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter and Voice Service Bridge: Electronics

Dan

Thanks for the suggestion... definitely looks like a preferable alternative to dialing from my computer. I have a couple of questions, though:

1) My router isn't located in my office, and I'd rather not have to run a cable between the two. Do you know if there are any wireless adapters that work (and work well) with the OBi?

2) It's been several years since I've had a landline so I would need to get a new phone as well. Any suggestions? I don't need top of the line (nor do I want to pay for it), just something dependable with good call quality. Same goes for headsets - any suggestions there?

I have Ringcentral and Google Voice. I have had issues with GV in the past when making sales calls and it was embarrassing. So I do not make outgoing calls with GV for business anymore.

With that said, I got a nice local vanity number with GV and will be forwarding it to my Ringcentral number.

I have Ringcentral and Google Voice. I have had issues with GV in the past when making sales calls and it was embarrassing. So I do not make outgoing calls with GV for business anymore.

With that said, I got a nice local vanity number with GV and will be forwarding it to my Ringcentral number.

How much per month is Google Voice, if all you really need a number for a certain area code?

How much per month is Google Voice, if all you really need a number for a certain area code?

It's free, at least it will be for 2012. That in itself is the problem, there is no guarantee of service, nor anyone to complain to if the service is sub par. I liked the ability to get a vanity local number for free. More than likely, I will port in over to Ringcentral in the future.

To my best experience, I would say like other said. You get what you pay for.

I had few concerns with MagicJack+ (pluses and minuses):
+ Very easy to setup
+ Cost wise cheapest phone service on the market (that I know of)
+ No need to have a running PC in order to make/receive calls
+ Pay $10 extra (one time) and get vanity numbers of your choice (amazing feature)
- Low sound quality
- No outgoing Caller ID (name). Called wouldn't know who is calling them unless they remember your number.
- Poor website, hard to browse through your account
- Limited features
- Nearly impossible to speak to a customer care person when needed, only way to get a hold on to them is chat or email.

Other options is netTALK Duo. MagicJack+ and NetTALK Duo is pretty much close to cost wise and call quality wise. Both capable for sending and receiving fax without trouble. Advantage of netTALK Duo over MagicJack+ is that you dial 611 and get a live customer care person during business hour to take care of your problem if any. Better website also. One of the major advantages of using MagicJack+ is MagicJack iPhone app is free via iTunes. Now, this is really a good step to jump into an Apple gadget once again as it allows to make unlimited free calls.

I figured I'd post this again just in case it got lost in the mix...

Thanks for the suggestion... definitely looks like a preferable alternative to dialing from my computer. I have a couple of questions, though:

1) My router isn't located in my office, and I'd rather not have to run a cable between the two. Do you know if there are any wireless adapters that work (and work well) with the OBi?

2) It's been several years since I've had a landline so I would need to get a new phone as well. Any suggestions? I don't need top of the line (nor do I want to pay for it), just something dependable with good call quality. Same goes for headsets - any suggestions there?

I haven't tried running the obi wirelessly. I know bandwidth wouldn't be a problem, but just haven't set it up and done it to really comment.

As far as a phone recommendation goes, find one with a headset jack, preferably an amplified headset jack. It will be a few bucks, but well worth it. Get a good headset and go to town.

Don't cheap out on the phone, its not worth it over time.

Dan

How bad do you think it is dealing with the delay of google voice??? seems like it would aggravate the customer

Back