Can FE Tele sales really give you that " nomad laptop lifestyle"?

thomasm

Guru
1000 Post Club
Nebraska
I keep seeing all these twenty something life insurance agent influencers on TikTok and Youtube, living out of Airbnbs doing tele sales with their laptops. Is this a sustainable business model long term? (I know brand spanking new agents that built huge ACA books in an amazingly short amount of time, but that only goes back a few years. Still new money!) I wish I was that ambitious at that age! I wish them well! Hope the inevitable chargebacks from all those new recruits don't eventually swallow them whole!

Last edited:
Can't work or use VAs from overseas for ACA. Medicare might be next. But I guess you're right. I used to follow this digital marketer guy on YouTube who recorded live sales calls to the US from France using Google Maps calling industry verticals to sell them a "done for you" PPC/C2C campaign where they book your calendar for you. It works. But in our industry, it's when you try to build is where the huge risk lies. We all know one-time big players in the FE niche that were here one day and gone the next. I mean big social media influencers with real downlines, that just flat out disappeared one day! Like the Renegade R.B.

Last edited:
I keep seeing all these twenty something life insurance agent influencers on TikTok and Youtube, living out of Airbnbs doing tele sales with their laptops. Is this a sustainable business model long term? (I know brand spanking new agents that built huge ACA books in an amazingly short amount of time, but that only goes back a few years. Still new money!) I wish I was that ambitious at that age! I wish them well! Hope the inevitable chargebacks from all those new recruits don't eventually swallow them whole!
Most of those innerweb producers are just liars.

Last edited:
Some like to show their bank statement deposits! Haha! I love looking at all those carrier deposits on my statement too! But I know the difference between gross and net! 😉
I have a good friend that was really good at face to face sales, earned several trips and was a top 10 agent with a couple companies.

He got into phone sales during covid. Became one of the top agents at supposedly the best telesales shop.

Said he sold more policies than he ever had in his life. More policies, more volume, etc

He hated every minute of it. But more importantly he was actually making less money than he ever had in the business.

But he still stuck with it for a couple years. He’s back to face to face selling now. And happy again.

He was never a recruiter, no down line agents. Just a producer.

And he was one of their best. He was one they used as an example to recruit.

Cautionary tale.

I would talk to people doing what you want to do.

You are going to find people on both sides of the debate.

Personally, selling from a seaside AirB&B, my deck or driving makes a lot more sense than driving all over the state sitting at strangers' tables. I've done both at different times for years.

Totally different skill set and level for both.

I could not sit in a cubicle all day any more than i would drive all over the state being no showed or having a mangy dog rubbing my leg.

Many ways to do what we do.

Do a search back to the early covid years. There was a lot of back and forth.

Search

Those guys are marketers first and foremost. They're trying to sell a course or recruit newbies to their agency.

The ones posting bank statements are only showing their gross. They're not showing what they pay their downline LOAs, lead costs, or other business expenses.

Before I joined FEX, I got recruited by some of these clowns. One guy met me at a coffee shop and showed me his bank deposits. Found out later that he had several agents under him. The commissions were all paid to him, and he was paying them from his own account. Long story, short - most of that deposit he showed was commissions paid to his downlines.

I have a good friend that was really good at face to face sales, earned several trips and was a top 10 agent with a couple companies.

He got into phone sales during covid. Became one of the top agents at supposedly the best telesales shop.

Said he sold more policies than he ever had in his life. More policies, more volume, etc

He hated every minute of it. But more importantly he was actually making less money than he ever had in the business.

But he still stuck with it for a couple years. He’s back to face to face selling now. And happy again.

He was never a recruiter, no down line agents. Just a producer.

And he was one of their best. He was one they used as an example to recruit.

Cautionary tale.
I've been kicking around the idea of giving FE telesales a shot and I'm 99% sure it's gonna happen in the next few months. I've done a lot of research, taken naysayers seriously and all that.

If there's a prototype to do it, it's me. My entire career has been in sales, almost all over the phone for ~20 years. 10+ years in insurance (P&C agency owner). I actually like being at a desk working leads and have no interest at all in being on the road.

I'll be well-funded and putting in the hours, maybe for the shop you're talking about. If I put the over/under at $200k net in the first 12 months, what would your guess be? Only asking because informed, skeptical opinions on it are hard to come by.

I've been kicking around the idea of giving FE telesales a shot and I'm 99% sure it's gonna happen in the next few months. I've done a lot of research, taken naysayers seriously and all that.

If there's a prototype to do it, it's me. My entire career has been in sales, almost all over the phone for ~20 years. 10+ years in insurance (P&C agency owner). I actually like being at a desk working leads and have no interest at all in being on the road.

I'll be well-funded and putting in the hours, maybe for the shop you're talking about. If I put the over/under at $200k net in the first 12 months, what would your guess be? Only asking because informed, skeptical opinions on it are hard to come by.

$200k net? I'm sure JD will chime in. There's no way you'll do $200k net first year doing FE telesales. You'd be top 0.5% doing $200k gross.

The ones making the money in telesales are the recruiters. They can sell leads to their agents and make overrides. No need to worry about how much their agents spend on leads, as they get to make an override regardless.

Back