Can I keep my ACA subsidies if husband has access to ins at his job but doesn't buy it?

Linluna

Im confused with how the marketplace subsidies work. I do not work and hadn't had insurance for several years. I do not qualify for medicaid. During the pandemic my state offered insurance to everyone, no matter their income, for 6 months. When that ended I purchased insurance through the marketplace and have only had that coverage a couple of months. I DO get subsidies. While the insurance has high deductible the premiums, with the subsidies, are affordable. Without subsidies it is NOT affordable. My husband is offered insurance through his work but he is a veteran so goes to the VA for all his healthcare needs and doesn't buy the employer based insurance. Now that its enrollment time....I find myself confused. Can I still keep my marketplace insurance with subsidies or does my husband have to sign up for his insurance, even though he doesn't need it, only so he can add me? His work insurance has high premiums, very high deductible, and has less coverage percentage so I do NOT want it. If he doesn't sign up do i get to keep my subsidies? I talked to my agent and she was a bit confused on this one as well. She said that technically "I" do not have insurance through work because I'm not employed and since he goes to the VA he doesn't have a plan to add me to. But she wasn't positive about it.

Im confused with how the marketplace subsidies work. I do not work and hadn't had insurance for several years. I do not qualify for medicaid. During the pandemic my state offered insurance to everyone, no matter their income, for 6 months. When that ended I purchased insurance through the marketplace and have only had that coverage a couple of months. I DO get subsidies. While the insurance has high deductible the premiums, with the subsidies, are affordable. Without subsidies it is NOT affordable. My husband is offered insurance through his work but he is a veteran so goes to the VA for all his healthcare needs and doesn't buy the employer based insurance. Now that its enrollment time....I find myself confused. Can I still keep my marketplace insurance with subsidies or does my husband have to sign up for his insurance, even though he doesn't need it, only so he can add me? His work insurance has high premiums, very high deductible, and has less coverage percentage so I do NOT want it. If he doesn't sign up do i get to keep my subsidies? I talked to my agent and she was a bit confused on this one as well. She said that technically "I" do not have insurance through work because I'm not employed and since he goes to the VA he doesn't have a plan to add me to. But she wasn't positive about it.
ACA Frequently Asked Questions -- VA, Affordable Care Act and You

Are my family members (who aren’t eligible for VA or other federal health care programs) eligible for assistance to purchase health insurance?
Your family members who are not enrolled in a VA health care program should use the Marketplace to get coverage. They may get lower costs on monthly premiums or out-of-pocket costs. They could be eligible for free or low-cost coverage through Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). For more information, visit www.healthcare.gov.

---------------
If he has access to group coverage or joined the group plan, then you would NOT be eligible for tax credits. But, if he has VA access and joins VA, it looks like you would be eligible for tax credits. Good question.

Back