Can You Target by Home Value?

They are getting it from somewhere, after all how else would you get so many pre-screened credit card offers?

You ever pay for your meds with a credit card or debit card? Do you have a shopper's card or maybe a discount card?

Sounds like a lot of illegal stuff going on. If I pay for medication with my credit card, you're telling me that my bank can sell that information - what meds I bought? Not a shot in living hell. Do they?

And no one can get my credit score without my written permission.

Sounds like a lot of illegal stuff going on. If I pay for medication with my credit card, you're telling me that my bank can sell that information - what meds I bought? Not a shot in living hell. Do they?

I guess you never read those privacy notices sent out every year. There is quite a lot of information that can be shared, although it may not be shared.

Also, the merchant is also getting your name if you pay via card. So again, that is another tool to link your OTC purchase with a name. Although, my bet is that most of it is coming from the merchant via the shopper's reward card. I get some very targeted coupons from one merchant. If I stop buying a product, I can expect a coupon in about a month on it.

I'm nearly certain that zero laws are being broken. I'll admit I'm not up on all of them, but it's a huge industry that does have limitations on it. A bunch of brokers lost their access to the files because of "bad behavior".

I also don't think it's the bank telling the information about what you bought (for many reasons, not the last of which is they see the transaction amount, not the items purchased). This is most likely tied to reward cards and the like.

I'm nearly certain that zero laws are being broken. I'll admit I'm not up on all of them, but it's a huge industry that does have limitations on it. A bunch of brokers lost their access to the files because of "bad behavior".

I also don't think it's the bank telling the information about what you bought (for many reasons, not the last of which is they see the transaction amount, not the items purchased). This is most likely tied to reward cards and the like.

Well, I call BS after more searching. There is literally no way to legally get anyone's credit score or even an estimate from any of the credit rating agencies.

That my credit card company reports my OTC medication purchases is also pure kaka.

Sounds like a pure list scam if you ask me.

Well, I call BS after more searching. There is literally no way to legally get anyone's credit score or even an estimate from any of the credit rating agencies.

That my credit card company reports my OTC medication purchases is also pure kaka.

You're still forgetting the merchant. And I know for a fact they use it internally. It is not to hard to believe that some are selling it. Also, I don't believe you'd have any protection for this, I could be wrong.

I guess you never read those privacy notices sent out every year. There is quite a lot of information that can be shared, although it may not be shared.

Also, the merchant is also getting your name if you pay via card. So again, that is another tool to link your OTC purchase with a name. Although, my bet is that most of it is coming from the merchant via the shopper's reward card. I get some very targeted coupons from one merchant. If I stop buying a product, I can expect a coupon in about a month on it.

You're missing the difference between data mining and selling my specific info.

Data mining is fine - maybe reporting that in my area, average income is "XXXX."

However, no one has the ability to buy specifics about me - John - as in which medication I'm buying or my credit score. If so, it's done illegally.

Call it what you like, but it works. You want me to pull the list in your area and see if you pop up? Just shoot me your age and zip. I don't expect you'll take me up on it, but it's a legit filter.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
However, no one has the ability to buy specifics about me - John - as in which medication I'm buying or my credit score. If so, it's done illegally.

Medication, maybe. Credit score, there is an entire industry that disagrees with you about that. Well, not necessarily you John Petrowski, but definitely homeowners in zip code XXXXX with estimated FICO scores of XXX or that are X number of months behind on their mortgage payment.

Last edited:
Do the typical direct mail companies have the ability to give you lists for direct mail by home value?

How do you get a person living in a home, but not the owner of it?

Last edited:
Do the typical direct mail companies have the ability do give you lists for direct mail by home value?

How do you get a person living in a home, but not the owner of it?

Most get their data from Acxiom which does a pretty good job. They should be able to do home value, but they may go a little off the rails when you're trying to get folks in a home that aren't the owner of it. What you're looking for is a non-owner occupied (or non-owner-occupied?) list. Doesn't hurt to ask if they can do it. Home value shouldn't be a problem, but when you start really drilling down is where it can get a little dicey.

Back