captive to independent /need advise

Not getting in front of enough people is my problem. That is why i want to leave. The way i look at is, Why bust my butt for my RSM and spend my money to make him rich, when i can make myself rich. I am not kidding when I say I dont get any training from them.

Good question. When I first started I wore a suit. I had worn one for my full working career and I didn't think anything about it. It didn't take me long to realize that a "suit" represented authority to the vast majority of the prospects I called on.

The most productive areas in the state, and I sell all over the state, are the rural areas. Generally, suits just don't go over very well in rural areas. That was a little too intimidating for most.

I then started wearing slacks and a sport shirt. I did a whole lot better. Now when I go on appointments I wear a nice pair of Levis, a nice shirt and shoes. I buy expensive shoes and they are always shined. I have my Levis tailored so they are neither too long nor too short. I work out and stay in good shape. I feel that making a good appearance, one that they are comfortable with, is a big part making them feel relaxed around you. I think the biggest danger is "over dressing" rather than dressing casual.

Now when I go on an appointment I feel confident and I don't intimidate the prospect by looking like an FBI agent or a bible salesman.

Selling Med Supps in urban areas has never worked for me. I would starve to death if I was limited to selling supps in either Kansas City or St. Louis. It was always at least an hour and fifteen minutes to my first appointment. I love the country and found the drive very relaxing.

Yes, that is so much easier to read. Looks just like a real, successful insurance agent wrote it. :biglaugh:

Stank Nasty You can just call me "Stinkee" for short. :)

PS You can do newsletters yourself, you don't have to pay someone to do them for you. If you had a good Contact Management Program with built in Mail Merge :) they can be personalized and have the letters and the labels printed in just a few minutes. All you have to do is put them in envelopes and add the postage.

Last edited:
hi everyone, i am looking for some suppport on converting to an independent agent in the senior market. i have been in the business 2 yrs. I sell medicare supplements, annuities, final expense, and some medicare advantage plans. Do i really need an office? What is the best way to get in front of prospects, cost and time wise. I want to keep selling med supps and annuities i dont really care for medicare advantage but i do sell to those who want it or cant afford a suppplement. What are the things i should watch out for so i dont make bad mistakes. by the way i live in indiana. I would eventually like to have agents underneath me.

You are the most needy poster ever. I think you should find another career. You are clearly not cut out for insurance.

When Hillary or Bernie get elected the $15 minimum wage should help you earn more money.

Rick

No one in that thread is still around except SAI. We know why Frank isn't but where did all the others go?

I really enjoy reading Frank's old posts. His advice is nearly just as on point now as it was then.

Back