Carrier Reps - ALWAYS Hounding Us to Meet

Hahah Ins, I am definitely familiar. The irony now is I am trying to start a new agency from scratch, will probably be those reps' b*!ch for a long time :D

How do you guys deal w/ carrier reps who always want to meet? It's a waste of everybody's time. If I need something, I'll ask. Otherwise, carrier reps are worthless & aren't able to do ANYTHING for the agency. They come out, talk about how their products and service are great & it actually almost makes me want to vomit. I have about 4 that just WILL NOT let up. I just flat out ignore their emails at this point. I mean it's borderline harassment. I know they all mean well, but lets cut to the chase. If you're a carrier rep, you're truly worthless to the agency.

Ha... I only meet for lunch or drinks.
You would be surprised how many don't have a budget for that!

Quick story about when I was a rep and how they help.

I was a rep. I met with a gent in ______ with a $6 million progressive book. He was loyal to Progressive because he had a life-size Flow cut out. He said he did not want my appointment because he was one of two agents in BIG CITY with a Flow Cut out.

I came back a week later with a life-size Shawn Michael Walker cut out. I had the picture taken with my arm out so when I brought it in I could put it right next to Flow so my arm would be around her.

I told the agent, you may be one of two agents in ____ with a Flow cut out but you are the only agent in the Ins Industry with an SMW cut out. Now quit screwing around let me pay you more and give me half of that book.

One year later I had 2m of that book.

Empowered Reps can make a difference. Reps often need to bring more to the table than what their carrier provides them to assure the meetings are full of Meat and Potatoes.

Robo guy,

give me a call. I will be in CA next week if that is where you are.

Last edited:
Smart or Dumb...I'd love to have a 6,000,000 anything book. Of course he was probably in the dead center bum civilization writing a bunch of crap...but hey that's still a nice sized book.

Take the name of the carriers out. The Example illustrates that Reps can be great and beneficial to an agency if they are empowered, smart, and true Sales people.

He actually was in a great part of town.

----------

One other thing, A Rep has to make a certain number of calls a week. (Typically) If a Rep is not bringing enough value to you, schedule your appointments at the time that works best for you and a length you can live with.

It has to be EARLY and we have to keep it to 30 mins.
It has to be late in the day.
LUNCH hour is the only time I slow down.
Only on Tuesday mornings and I am booked a month out.

It is your schedule. Own it. Do you own your schedule?

Last edited:
Take the name of the carriers out. The Example illustrates that Reps can be great and beneficial to an agency if they are empowered, smart, and true Sales people.

He actually was in a great part of town.

----------

One other thing, A Rep has to make a certain number of calls a week. (Typically) If a Rep is not bringing enough value to you, schedule your appointments at the time that works best for you and a length you can live with.

It has to be EARLY and we have to keep it to 30 mins.
It has to be late in the day.
LUNCH hour is the only time I slow down.
Only on Tuesday mornings and I am booked a month out.

It is your schedule. Own it. Do you own your schedule?

So true.

If you have a rep who is a true sales person they are very valuable.

They can push underwriting to get things done quicker and sometimes more.

I've had reps get things written that normally are not in their hot spots.. went outside the box for me because I was close with the reps.

Back