Carrier Reps - ALWAYS Hounding Us to Meet

I would like to better understand the difference between old school reps and new school reps. How has the position changed over time.

I have been in this industry 13 years so I need someone to take me back farther than that. Also I have worked with many "old school" reps prior to their retirements so I need to understand how the rep world was different before them or how it changed on them.

Some thoughts. Old school reps had UW authority... Bigger budgets...Less Pushy....More whimpy....More relationship driven... Industry professional vs sales guy.

I would really love to know. How has the Insurance Rep evolved over the year?

Last edited:
I would like to better understand the difference between old school reps and new school reps. How has the position changed over time.

I have been in this industry 13 years so I need someone to take me back farther than that. Also I have worked with many "old school" reps prior to their retirements so I need to understand how the rep world was different before them or how it changed on them.

Some thoughts. Old school reps had UW authority... Bigger budgets...Less Pushy....More whimpy....More relationship driven... Industry professional vs sales guy.

I would really love to know. How has the Insurance Rep evolved over the year?

The biggest thing that has changed in this industry is the underwriting practices without a doubt.

My dad who retired from the insurance industry in 2012 after 43 years in it said he would meet up with the carrier reps at diners and underwrite a 6 figure account with them right there with the agent and sometimes the insured as well.. often times on napkins and have a bind order a few hours later.

Could you imagine that happening today?? underwriters do not leave their cubicle unless the building is on fire and if an account does not fit into their tiny little guidelines or you forget to answer one question on one of their supplementals they decline it.

Now I do know underwriters and they have told compliance has gotten very bad (probably due to lawyers) and that is why it has changed so much.

For whatever reason... it stinks!!

The biggest thing that has changed in this industry is the underwriting practices without a doubt. My dad who retired from the insurance industry in 2012 after 43 years in it said he would meet up with the carrier reps at diners and underwrite a 6 figure account with them right there with the agent and sometimes the insured as well.. often times on napkins and have a bind order a few hours later. Could you imagine that happening today?? underwriters do not leave their cubicle unless the building is on fire and if an account does not fit into their tiny little guidelines or you forget to answer one question on one of their supplementals they decline it. Now I do know underwriters and they have told compliance has gotten very bad (probably due to lawyers) and that is why it has changed so much. For whatever reason... it stinks!!

My Liberty Mutual personal lines rep does have some underwriting authority.... I work to make sure I am on his good side as a result:). I think he is the only one w/ any real authority.

My Liberty Mutual personal lines rep does have some underwriting authority.... I work to make sure I am on his good side as a result:). I think he is the only one w/ any real authority.

Personal lines I could see .. personal lines is simply just plugging things into a system and it spits out a quote.

They should just let carrier reps just quote personal lines on site.

But commercial lines the underwriting has changed drastically.

I actually have meetings scheduled once a month with my carrier reps. I bring them in to quote business right on the spot for me.

I find most carrier websites to be cumbersome and time consuming. I would much rather spend more time on gathering the proper information and let them come in and quote the business for us, then we can see how they like their policies to look and it helps keep my companies on their toes with us.

They always call me looking to meet once a month, I don't expect them to buy my lunch all the time, but if they want to come in so much, I might as well put them to work while they're here!

Back