Certified Senior Advisor designation

Credibility with agents is earned the same way it is with any client. I have worked with people who have all kinds of letters after their name. Eventually it becomes ridiculous. A guy handed me a card a few months ago.

John Doe, CLU, ChFC, CEBS, LUTC

His letters were longer than his name.

I had to chuckle inside.

Prior boy scouts........ I used to be the same way and go after every designation I could find applicable to my previous field when I was in the military. Knowledge is more important to me than a designation.

I have no designations. I looked into the CSA but after some carriers said do not put it on our mailers, cards, etc, I decided to save my $.

Most people have no idea what they are. My last name is complex enough, I do not need to add any more confusion.

I have no designations...

Most people have no idea what they are. My last name is complex enough, I do not need to add any more confusion.

I sure can identify with that. I tell people that my name is just Frank.

Putting all that ah, stuff behind your name that no one understands or cares about except the agent him/herself seems like a total wasted effort.

I understand being proud of the continuing education and agent has spent a lot of time and money to acquire, but then why not also put any additional degrees behind one's name also. As an example:

B.S, M.S., P.H.D.

We all know what B.S. stands for, M.S. simply means More of the Same and P.H.D. stands for Piled High and Dry.

Frank, I thought Ph.D. meant piled higher and deeper (you know what substance this refers to)? Also, CPA means cleaning, pressing, and alterations.:biggrin:

It depends whether you are piling your BS in a hole or on level ground. The really good ones at it have to dig a really deep hole to start.

Duh, every one who owns a suit knows that CPA means cleaning, pressing and alterations. :biggrin:

I knew a guy who had his doctorate in history. Every where he went he introduced himself as Dr. so and so. He would then spend the next 30 minutes explaining to people he met what kind of "Dr." he really was. He was a real jerk.

It depends whether you are piling your BS in a hole or on level ground. The really good ones at it have to dig a really deep hole to start.

Duh, every one who owns a suit knows that CPA means cleaning, pressing and alterations. :biggrin:

I knew a guy who had his doctorate in history. Every where he went he introduced himself as Dr. so and so. He would then spend the next 30 minutes explaining to people he met what kind of "Dr." he really was. He was a real jerk.

I simply introduce myself as "the Grand Poo-Bah of all Things Known and Unknown." On my card that reads GPBOATKAU after my name. They are all very impressed and they are all going to get back with me and let me know when they are ready to start the policies.

I had a friend who used the initials "MD" after her name, on her business card. That was supposed to stand for 'money doctor'.

Eventually she dropped that...tired of explaining MD. LOL

What is wrong with a title that simply says "Insurance Agent". Isn't that who we really are?

I get a kick out of agents who try to come up with some fancy, important sounding title that may sound very impressive but after someone reads it, they don't have a clue what the person really does.

It almost seems as though some agents are ashamed of being "just an insurance agent". My "title" is "Your Insurance Agent".

I want people to know what I do for a living. Who knows, the person I give my card to may be looking for insurance and when they see that I sell insurance they may call me. Why would they call someone who's title was "Senior Medical Investment Counselor"? I actually knew an agent who used that as his title. "Senior" could mean anything.

Another thing that makes me smile are independent agents who work by themselves who "own an agency" and their title is President. I'm an independent agent and not only am I the CEO, CFO, President, secretary, file clerk and mail boy, I'm also the janitor. However, I still want people to know that I am the person who they can buy their policy from.

I sure am not going to contact the President of GM to buy a car, I'm going to call someone who sells cars for a living.

Last time I checked titles still do not sell insurance or even get you an appointment. Agents, real people, sell insurance. Don't make your "title" so confusing that only you know what you really do, even though your mother is really impressed by your fancy sounding title. :D

Back