Certified Senior Advisor designation

The CSA designation has just been accredited. That's good news although I have taken all my designations off my business card because NOBODY GIVES A CRAP WHAT INITIALS YOU HAVE AFTER YOUR NAME.

However, I thought the course itself was valuable not for the sales training it never promised to give, but for the general knowledge it imparted.

As far as where to take classes, simple google on the designation name.

Rick

Re: Just creative merchandising

I went to college, paid my tuitions, graduated with a degree, and that was that. No ongoing annual fees to maintain my B.A.

With these jokers, you pay $1100-$1400 for a course, annual renewal is around $300 or more to retain that accreditation (?) and of questionable value on a resume.

Here is what I envy. Someone found a way to sell the obvious to the trusting public. Who would have thought it could be so simple. And of course the number of title designations just proliferates..........

It is a racket, nothing more, those involved can't sell financial products so they sell titles and designations.

Selling financial products is a racket too ;) And those to certify you to sell financial products are just as easy to get as a CSA. I studied longer on the CSA than I did on the Series 6, 63 or 65, and the test wasn't a whole lot easier either. ;)

Last edited:
This is a great thread and a great question. I've been looking carefully at the various designations for the insurance and financial services industries for my agents, and I've reached a few conclusions:

1. I agree with those here who say that an alphabet soup of designations after your name isn't nearly as important to the public as your knowledge, ethics and interpersonal skills.

2. I notice that many designations (including the CSA) include how to communicate with prospects - in other words, selling. Others include entire sections on prospecting. For my money, I'd much rather get good training on the products and how they work, than how to sell them. That's a different issue that I'd want to address separately.

3. Right now, if I were to enroll in a specific designation based purely on general insurance product knowledge, I'd go with the LUTCF. With this designation, you can get educated on the specific products, such as life, annuities, DI, long term care, etc. But I must say, I don't know how good the training is.

4. The financial designations such as 6, 7, 63 and 65 are required by law for those who want to provide advice, purchase certain products, etc. The insurance designations such as CLU and LUTCF are for two things: education/training and to put after your name on your business card. They aren't required to sell insurance products, that just requires a license. Seems to me that earning a legitimate insurance designation is a good idea for anyone who wants to be knowledgeable in the field.

5. Yes, the CSA is open to people outside of the insurance field such as CPAs. A CPA buddy of mine is studying for it right now because he plans to increase marketing efforts to seniors, and wants to understand them better. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Selling financial products is a racket too ;) And those to certify you to sell financial products are just as easy to get as a CSA. I studied longer on the CSA than I did on the Series 6, 63 or 65, and the test wasn't a whole lot easier either. ;)

Patch, I don't think there is anything wrong with acquiring a designation if one wants to and there may be beneficial education associated with them. Not all of them are easy to acquire. I have held a couple of designations in another field but I still say that for the people running them and for the organization it is simply a business venture albeit racket. That is why so many different designations have flourished. There is money in it and demand not from the general public but from the agents and reps.

Had a lady give me her card like this

Mary Jones DMN

stood for Doesn't mean Nothin!

Reminds me of a friend who was a partner in an engineering firm called Three I. When I asked him what the name stood for he told me that he and two other guys had worked at a firm where the head engineer was always telling them that the three of them should start an engineering firm and call it Three I (inept, idiotic, and incompetent). They did and today employ about 150 people.

The non financial designations are useless unless you feel you need letters or you are bored. You will get no relevant training unless you want to become a elder conselor and become a home health care aide. It will not teach you to sell more annuities, nor will you make more money.

These were mass marketed for a long time several bs designations are out there 1-3 days classroom intro training or they have online certification; followed by a test a 10 year old child could pass. Many states like Nebraska dont recognize these any more.

Spend the Money and time to get a CFP or one of the American College offering they are recognized, do instill credibility allowing you to make more money and you will gain the knowledge and skills to become an advisor not just a saleman.

It is a racket, nothing more, those involved can't sell financial products so they sell titles and designations.

Hey X, I don't disagree, but I think the securities licenses are also a racket. And the SEC/Finra thinks they can regulate fixed annuities when their own house is plagued with complaints and abuse?

Many of the FA's and RIA's I run into have only one thing in mind, and that is commissions and fees. Before they sell to a senior or someone near retirement age perhaps they should be required to take the CSA course and recertify on the principles of suitability and risk tolerance. ;)

Hey X, I don't disagree, but I think the securities licenses are also a racket. And the SEC/Finra thinks they can regulate fixed annuities when their own house is plagued with complaints and abuse?

Many of the FA's and RIA's I run into have only one thing in mind, and that is commissions and fees. Before they sell to a senior or someone near retirement age perhaps they should be required to take the CSA course and recertify on the principles of suitability and risk tolerance. ;)

True!

Back