Certified Senior Advisor designation

Rick, what is the meaning of those acronyms behind your name? I only recognize CSA but the others are new to me. And I never understood why I need a course to talk to grandma and grandpa. Of course you need to talk slower and simple. I do the same with my mechanic. Just the young need a fast bit rate. And that's because they're on speed.

Rick, what is the meaning of those acronyms behind your name? I only recognize CSA but the others are new to me.
I'm starting to think that dropping these acronyms might be a better idea. Perhaps I'm only impressing myself.

Anyway:

CSA - Certified Senior Advisior
MSAA - Medicare Supplement Accredited Advisor
CBC - Chartered Benefit Consultant
(deals with plans like HSAs)

I also have a BA from UCLA. Probably a bigger deal than any of the others.

Rick

Just creative merchandising

I went to college, paid my tuitions, graduated with a degree, and that was that. No ongoing annual fees to maintain my B.A.

With these jokers, you pay $1100-$1400 for a course, annual renewal is around $300 or more to retain that accreditation (?) and of questionable value on a resume.

Here is what I envy. Someone found a way to sell the obvious to the trusting public. Who would have thought it could be so simple. And of course the number of title designations just proliferates.

But in a land where people buy Pet Rocks and blank books titled "What men know about women"....(sigh)

I had a friend that when he graduated from college he got a job somewhere and on his cards after his name he put B.A. for his Bachlors of Arts in Business. I asked him why and he got pissed. I was just asking not fussing. I have my MBA also I just choose not to put it on my card. I get asked alot by friends why I don't have it on there.

I'm starting to think that dropping these acronyms might be a better idea. Perhaps I'm only impressing myself.

Anyway:

CSA - Certified Senior Advisior
MSAA - Medicare Supplement Accredited Advisor
CBC - Chartered Benefit Consultant
(deals with plans like HSAs)

I also have a BA from UCLA. Probably a bigger deal than any of the others.

Rick

If they make you feel warm and fuzzy I would keep them. All of my comments were kind of tongue in cheek anyway.

We all have little things that make us feel more confident when going on an appointment. With some it is titles, or certificates showing further education.

With me it is my shoes. If my shoes are not freshly shined then I feel very self conscious and not as "confident". If they are shined I know that I'm going to make a sale. I know, really dumb isn't it, since my shoes are always under the table except when I walk in. To me, nothing looks worse than a guy who is "all dressed up" and his shoes look like hell.

Gamblers have their "lucky charm". It's basically the same thing. Especially since only other agents, for the most part, only know what all those initials stand for, but not always.

Don't belittle your education and training

Greensky, if you like the designations, keep them. Penn State football coach, Joe Paterno, once described education as a weapon for success in life and career, and he's just a football coach. Maybe your clients don't know what the designations mean, but if you arrange your certificates on a wall in a discrete, humble presentation then many more clients than ever tell you will find additional confidence in your expertise. Designations can never replace the people skills necessary for sales, but there are a lot of people, like me, that expect a salesman to have some legitimacy to claim they are an "expert" in the field and merit my business. Also, I find formal training/education to be my preferred (but not only) way to keep my head in the business and stay current. I also believe that costs should be justified by results either in more sales or quality of new content learned. I know I'm a newbie in insurance, so my opinion is based on life experience.

Back