Cigna May Exit - Leaving Phoenix with Zero Carriers

Why would a carrier stay to take on the on-x members. If they were profitable clients then the other carriers would still be there.

"Oh, you're leaving because you lost money, let me take those same clients so I can lose money as well."

If Cigna does pull out, Arizona could spell disaster for Hill dog in this election. The rest of the country will be scared to death of the same thing happening.

It is terrible that this kind of thing might have to happen for people to take notice that this whole thing is blowing up and is about to be atomic status for the rest of the country in not too long.

There are problems all over look at TN 62% increase, Yet somehow no one seems to connect one thing to another...

Look at this last 2 term guy, him and crew in Chicago and what a mess, but lets elect him, 1st term disaster but lets elect him again.

So why should this election be any different

There are problems all over look at TN 62% increase, Yet somehow no one seems to connect one thing to another...

Look at this last 2 term guy, him and crew in Chicago and what a mess, but lets elect him, 1st term disaster but lets elect him again.

Vic120, are you saying that people aren't drawing the obvious correlation between ObamaCare mandates and the huge IFP premium increases?

I used to pull my hair out over this, until I saw the statistics of just how few Americans are directly hurt by ObamaCare premium increases. Now I understand why most voters are more concerned about foreign policy issues, than they are about their health insurance.

Voter priorities for 2016: Top voting issues in 2016 election | Pew Research Center

As Allen eluded to, most people do not feel the full cost of premium increases.

But when suddenly there are ZERO carriers in most of a state... imo, that will cause people to take notice more. Of course I could be wrong. I constantly overestimate the intelligence of the american public.

Yes, most people don't feel the pain in the IFP market because it's the smallest segment of the health insurance market, and subsidized is roughly half of the IFP market. It's true that about 85% of the exchange policies are subsidized, but rarely is it reported that the off-exchange market nationwide is as big as the on-exchange market. Nonetheless, the IFP market as a whole is just a thin slice of the health insurance market.

I give AllenChicago credit for this chart.

Clearly, most people are not in the IFP market. It's that segment that is feeling these spiking rate increases and carrier withdrawals. The large group and small group space keeps trudging along.

However, there are other ways to feel this pain. When your doctor goes out of business, when your sister is on IFP and can't see a doctor, when your neighbor can't find insurance...

And, of course, the people in the group market remember that in 2014, their premiums went up. A lot. Especially for young men, due to the gender neutral 3 to 1 age banding issue.

March 28, 2016

From ACASignups.net, a very interesting pie-chart that shows the type of health insurance coverage, by population. I was surprised to see that Individual Health plans cover so few people. No wonder Americans in general, aren't too bent out of shape over the Individual Family Policy debacle.

2016_total_coverage_pie_chart.jpg

Source page for chart: "SHOW YOUR WORK?" OK...Healthcare Coverage Breakout for the Entire U.S. Population in 1 Chart! | ACASignups.net

ac

I wish this subject was being discussed in its own thread, to get more exposure, because a lot of agents still don't understand how overall insignificant the private IFP market is.

If you notice during the Republican debates, when Ted Cruz said "On day 1, I will issue an executive order to begin reversing the damage caused by Obamacare!", the applause was "cordial". This was mostly because the audience didn't like Obama.

When Donald Trump said "I will build a huge wall to stop the inflow of illegal aliens from Mexico!", the applause was loud and long.

I'm sorry that graph doesn't tell the whole truth there's a lot missing. Item 22 only 4.7 million undocumented uninsured? they are not going to show up on a census. They are invisible and can't be counted. That figure should be triple.
Been 10000 to 15000 per DAY come across the borders and tunnels by boat, train and Visa overstays for years. 30 years ago I was out in the southern desert on my ATV sitting there on hill looking at a railroad track and a blue ford pickup truck full. People jumped out of the truck and boarded the train while it was going up an incline slowly. There was at least eighty people on a train heads popping out everywhere. And what about the ones who signed up for Christian health risk share groups?
Then there are uninsured citizens and residents that just don't have insurance or lost it and can't get it again.
So that graph is not reality in my own humble opinion

Last edited:
I'm sorry that graph doesn't tell the whole truth there's a lot missing. Item 22 only 4.7 million undocumented uninsured? they are not going to show up on a census. They are invisible and can't be counted. That figure should be triple.
Been 10000 to 15000 per DAY come across the borders and tunnels by boat, train and Visa overstays for years. 30 years ago I was out in the southern desert on my ATV sitting there on hill looking at a railroad track and a blue ford pickup truck full. People jumped out of the truck and boarded the train while it was going up an incline slowly. There was at least eighty people on a train heads popping out everywhere. And what about the ones who signed up for Christian health risk share groups?
Then there are uninsured citizens and residents that just don't have insurance or lost it and can't get it again.
So that graph is not reality in my own humble opinion

I agree with that, as far as the uninsured goes. But the chart is right on about the sliver of the population that is in the IFP market. And this is why apathy is so low about the crashing IFP market.

The administration loves to tout how the uninsured rate has dropped "due to Obamacare". But most of them went to Medicaid. Another huge section (like you said) are uncounted.

Back