Client Loyal to Old Agent

I really don't understand why Rick's panties are in such a bind over this.
Rick, doesn't it give you a good feeling to know you helped this lady save some money?
Rick is truly doing gods work.

And you know this is what Rick truely lives for! :yes:

I had (past tense) a prospect who was paying way too much for insurance. I quoted she and her husband Plan F with another carrier and could save them about $1,000. This is in Oregon and with the birthday rule we don't need to worry about future rate increases.

She told me she liked her current agent but if I could save them money she'd be interested. Because of the trust issue I sent a letter with copies of pages from the Medicare books along with a copy of my license.

After I called her and left a message, she returned the favor to let me know she was staying with her current agent who found a lower priced plan, albeit not a low as the one I quoted.

A normal person would let this slide but rather than calling her and reminding her that the current agent was happy to rip them off for years, I just sent this letter. It won't do any good, but I feel better.

I wanted to let you know how much I respect your loyalty to the agent who went all these years knowing that you and your husband were overpaying for your insurance without correcting this problem.

And how great it is that after YOU mentioned that I can provide a much lower option you still allowed him to then help you with other policies at a higher price than why I quoted.

So just why are you loyal this agent? He's allowed you to pay a higher price by far than you needed for years. I can only guess his reason is because the higher the price, the more commission is paid to the agent.

The reason for this letter is not give you new information that this agent really is not working in your interest. Clearly you must know that already.

Rick

It's probably too late for this in your case but i have saved a few deals in situations like this when in the clients home by using the same bizarre logic the client is using to keep her current plan/agent.I would say something like if you really like this agent that much why don't you split the savings I am offering on the new policy with him and send him a 50.00 check for his birthday each year.

This goes to prove that price is secondary to value. This agent was obviously valuable to his clients. You can't sell on price alone.

This goes to prove that price is secondary to value. This agent was obviously valuable to his clients. You can't sell on price alone.

Makes you Wonder how they define valuable.....He was more than willing to allow the client to over pay by a thousand dollars per year until another agent pointed out the difference.

Makes you Wonder how they define valuable.....He was more than willing to allow the client to over pay by a thousand dollars per year until another agent pointed out the difference.

Prospects can be a funny thing

some get it
and others I just don't understand what they are thinking

I've had some who would rather pay more with higher increases
with mutual of Omaha

then go with a much less expensive sup with say forethought life
or Stonebridge or the like

because they never heard of them

no mater how you explain it'

here is another this only happened once
During AEP

But had a woman in CA that had a blue cross PPO
and I was able to get here a Plan N for less with AARP

went over everything for over 2 hours
gave here print outs of both plans for her to compare side by side

she was in complete agreement
but backed out at the last minute

Because when she went to the doctor
she was talking to the receptionist
who told here blue cross is a much better plan

No explanation
receptionist didn't even look at the benefits

knew nothing other then in her head for some reason blue cross is always better then AARP

I couldn't get her to see reason for anything

Prospects can be a funny thing

some get it
and others I just don't understand what they are thinking

I've had some who would rather pay more with higher increases
with mutual of Omaha

then go with a much less expensive sup with say forethought life
or Stonebridge or the like

because they never heard of them

no mater how you explain it'

here is another this only happened once
During AEP

But had a woman in CA that had a blue cross PPO
and I was able to get here a Plan N for less with AARP

went over everything for over 2 hours
gave here print outs of both plans for her to compare side by side

she was in complete agreement
but backed out at the last minute

Because when she went to the doctor
she was talking to the receptionist
who told here blue cross is a much better plan

No explanation
receptionist didn't even look at the benefits

knew nothing other then in her head for some reason blue cross is always better then AARP

I couldn't get her to see reason for anything

That's were you tell the client with a straight face that medical procedure you are planning on having is not medically necessary....Because you are as qualified to give medical advice off the cuff as the receptionist is to give insurance advice without even reviewing what was presented...

You can't win them all I used to get upset if a client took the advice of a bank teller over my own....Tell says add your son as a joint owner on this account and no problems at death.

That's were you tell the client with a straight face that medical procedure you are planning on having is not medically necessary....Because you are as qualified to give medical advice off the cuff as the receptionist is to give insurance advice without even reviewing what was presented...

You can't win them all I used to get upset if a client took the advice of a bank teller over my own....Tell says add your son as a joint owner on this account and no problems at death.

Agreed

these cases are rare and not worth the effort to be angry

but when they do happen it def has me scratching my head
in amazement

I don't think anyone posting here suggested this is something to get angry about. I would have simply called the woman but that would be more confrontational.

Given my years in this industry it's not the 1st time this happened, nor will it be the last. I wrote the letter not because I think I'll get a call saying that I'm right, but just to point out that her blind allegiance to this agent may be misguided.

Plus, I like saying what's on my mind.

Rick

I don't think anyone posting here suggested this is something to get angry about. I would have simply called the woman but that would be more confrontational.

Given my years in this industry it's not the 1st time this happened, nor will it be the last. I wrote the letter not because I think I'll get a call saying that I'm right, but just to point out that her blind allegiance to this agent may be misguided.

Plus, I like saying what's on my mind.

Rick

The big question is if she has a problem will she call you or her agent :)

Back