Client Loyal to Old Agent

Not doing much with medicare myself,

I wonder if it would be worth asking them up front when they say they like their current agent if they would make the switch in agents if you can save them $1,000 a year ?

As well as pro actively keeping them with the best value in medicare plan for their premiums, as it appears their agent is not currently doing this.

Not sure if that would make any difference.

Many probably shopped to see if they were getting the best deal.

Then they tell the current guy what they found and he then offers to do the same thing. They stay as it is easy.

It happens occasionally. I though I clarified this prior to sending her information.

A good agent has both the loyalty of their policyholders along with their best interest in mind. It's a shame other agents don't "score" on both counts.

Rick

I had (past tense) a prospect who was paying way too much for insurance. I quoted she and her husband Plan F with another carrier and could save them about $1,000. This is in Oregon and with the birthday rule we don't need to worry about future rate increases.

She told me she liked her current agent but if I could save them money she'd be interested. Because of the trust issue I sent a letter with copies of pages from the Medicare books along with a copy of my license.

After I called her and left a message, she returned the favor to let me know she was staying with her current agent who found a lower priced plan, albeit not a low as the one I quoted.

A normal person would let this slide but rather than calling her and reminding her that the current agent was happy to rip them off for years, I just sent this letter. It won't do any good, but I feel better.

I wanted to let you know how much I respect your loyalty to the agent who went all these years knowing that you and your husband were overpaying for your insurance without correcting this problem.

And how great it is that after YOU mentioned that I can provide a much lower option you still allowed him to then help you with other policies at a higher price than why I quoted.

So just why are you loyal this agent? He's allowed you to pay a higher price by far than you needed for years. I can only guess his reason is because the higher the price, the more commission is paid to the agent.

The reason for this letter is not give you new information that this agent really is not working in your interest. Clearly you must know that already.

Rick, as Bill Clinton would say, "I feel your pain"(only, I really do).

Recently I was door knocking off a list I bought from Josh(I don't buy lists from him anymore since I signed up for ListShack), and a little old lady let me in. She had Gerber Plan F and wanted to save $900 a year with ACI's Plan F. I was filling out the app and most of the way through, I find out she doesn't qualify due to Myasthenia Gravis(she forgot to mention that when I asked about heath problems).

I looked at the other Supps I carry and no go. I'd just picked up Oxford's supp and looked at it. It didn't mention MG on the app, so I called Amanda and she said good to go.

Problem was, she pays by the year and was 2 months too far out so I had to come back in 2 months to write it up. I thought this was a sure thing since she remembered my name from 47 years ago when I was on the same Little League team with her sons.

She calls me the day before I was to write it up and tells me she decided to check with her agent who she's had a long time. To make a long story short...the SOB went and contracted with Oxford and she stayed with him. I was pissed! I bit my tongue and told her it was nice that she was loyal to her agent and I hope he appreciated me doing his homework for him.
---------------------------------------------
Now I have to take a little jab at you Rick.

We recently got into it over F vs. N. You more or less told me I was lazy(among other things) for not trying to sell somebody Plan N instead of Plan F, because it's a better value...even though the customer wants Plan F. You also said that if you had a list of my customers that you could replace them all with Plan N. This is the 2nd time recently you've posted about writing an F(you got the other one). What's up with that?

Why didn't you just show this lady the value of N over F? Problem solved! :skeptical:

While I have never sent a letter like Rick has, I have told people to their face basically the same thing. I usually state something along the lines of insurance is kind of like dealing with the IRS, if you do not do your homework or have a professional helping you, you can overpay.

I have been burned a few times by people who are paying too much and I go through my presentation and can save them a bunch, but want to talk to their agent. Then, the agent writes what I showed them. I did the work for them and the agent doesn't have to do anything. It pisses me off. Why don't they see that their agent doesn't care if they aren't in contact with them and letting them pay this high premium? Not sure what more I can do in the home to overcome this?

I really don't understand why Rick's panties are in such a bind over this.
Rick, doesn't it give you a good feeling to know you helped this lady save some money?
Rick is truly doing gods work.

I have been burned a few times by people who are paying too much and I go through my presentation and can save them a bunch, but want to talk to their agent. Then, the agent writes what I showed them. I did the work for them and the agent doesn't have to do anything. It pisses me off. Why don't they see that their agent doesn't care if they aren't in contact with them and letting them pay this high premium? Not sure what more I can do in the home to overcome this?

One presentation we could utilize. As you are introducing yourself and telling the prospect what you have to offer just say at this point ask if I can find you savings (with similar coverage). Would you be willing to allow me the privilege to be your agent. Yes/no?

If yes. Then that is somewhat of a commitment. If no. Then ask why they would say that?

Back