Compensation

They say that there is a lot of seminars and local events that they do. At these events we are supposed to get contacts then call them and set up an appointment. If we get 10 a week, 6 will stick, 4 will ask you to come back again, 2 will sell is what i've been told.

Sounds easy. If it was this easy, why would the new agent failure rate be like 97.3%?

Hi, Folks:

I love this thread since it buys into some mystery-solving I have been trying to sort out for the last four weeks.

You know those TV programs where somebody looks at some stone formation and then spends 40 minutes opining as to whether said formation was, made, moved or assembled by alien technology? Well I have been with New York Life for four weeks now and like the stone formation, the story of how it came to be what I am experiencing just does not seem to add-up. Here are some examples.

a.) Like the OP, I too, am routinely presented with the same linear logic regarding what is going to happen and what the result will be. The problem is that I have not yet met anyone who has actually accomplished their successful status in this manner. Its not that people are not constantly pushing the nose-to-the-grindstone theme. I get that til it comes out my ears. However, what I am noticing is that most of the kids I am crossing paths with had wealthy friends or parents or family members who were willing to buy a NYL product so said kid could make a living....or at least get a start. It seems to come down to either doing this part-time, or being lucky enough to score a few but massive windfalls.

b.) I am astonished by the number of kids in our offices and the fact that easily 80% of those kids are fresh out of school and only been working for a couple of years. When I go looking for the "old-timers" (IE 10+ years) there are a handful....and I mean literally five or less out of a sales staff of some 50 people.

c.) I find myself in an almost perpetual state of confusion by the number of mixed signals. The single worst is the huge emphasis on doing everything the "NYL Way" down to the smallest detail. The problem is that this approach is clearly a theme pushed on a "do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do" basis by the management.

d.) Lastly there is a kind of gut-level feeling---please don't asking me to operationally define it--- that some how, some way, people aren't shooting straight with me. Its more like they are going through the motions or playing a role of doing what they report they are suppose to be about. For instance, someone says, "Hi I am here to give the XYZ class" and then proceeds to spend two hours spewing verbal nothingness. What the hell?

Sorry for all of the belly-aching. I have really high hopes for a career with these people but I think I have enough respect for myself to want to sort out these feelings now rather than wait much longer. Anyone have any words of wisdom that might help me get a handle on this? Please don't tell me that my choices are 1.) drink the kool-aid, 2.) accept that I am inevitably headed towards the pile of the other 97% 3.) Go find another more credible career path. Help?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Point a) I despise "pity sales". Either it's a good idea, or it isn't. Don't buy something because you "want to give me a start". The purchase isn't about me. It is about you making good decisions. If you want to help me, make a good decision for your future that happens to involve a product that I offer.

However, you should be willing to prospect for rabbits, and you may get an elephant in the process. Hunt for elephants full-time, and you'll starve.

Point b) What does this have to do with you? Statistics are only relevant to the masses who quit before having and executing a solid prospecting and sales game plan.

If you keep looking for the agent graveyard, you will find it everywhere... in spades. (Pun intended.)

Point c) Turn it into your advantage as you communicate with prospects and clients. "Look, the company wants me to do x. However, you and I both know that we're smarter than this. So let me show you what I've got and you can judge it for yourself." Some kind of dialogue like this when dealing with prospects or referral sources would help show that you're "smarter than the company line".

Point d) They've lost their enthusiasm and are not being held accountable as they should. Not only is prospecting a "numbers game", but so is recruiting, teaching and training. If that person feels like they're only "going through the motions", it will show. That person probably needs a vacation, or to participate in a case that will re-awaken their passion for the business. Otherwise, they should get out of the training business.

You're obviously astute enough to observe these things. These things are in practically EVERY career agency.

The real questions are these:
- What are YOU going to do about it?
- If this is going to be consistent at most places, then what would be the defining difference to consider a change?

Just remember this. For the vast majority, they don't go into sales training because they were good at sales. Usually they were mediocre to poor at sales, but talked a good line and got a salaried job.

In insurance, the people who are good at sales generally either stay selling or open their own agency. And then often regret opening the agency.

Gotta say....you guys are great! Many thanks for the support.

I absolutely agree that it comes down to "what are you gonna do about it". Personally, I have come to believe that in the final analysis I am generally "in it by myself". I think what I need to do is keep a lower profile, as it were. For instance, regardless of what anyone says, I see Cold Calling as a necessary evil. It just is, IMHO. A lot of times when I bring this up the response I get is a 10-minute lecture about how "warm-markets" and referrals are ever so much more economical. Maybe that's true, but I don't have the established support network (aka "warm market") that a lot of other folks have so, for me, its gonna be Cold Calling until I do.

One thing I have noticed all over the place is how much a lot of these folks like to talk about how things are done. When it comes to actually doing something it seems like most of their energy is put into looking for some easier way to do things rather than just knuckle-down and do it.

Ok....'nuff of this. Gotta get to work. Thanks again.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Is it really that tough to get 2 sales a week though?

It depends. If you know what you are doing and are finding good qualified prospects, it is very easy.

If you are floundering around and have no qualified prospects, you might do well to get 2 a month.

Back