Deaf Prospect Suing Due to Lack of Interpreter

The Law.

Sure, as an independent agent you can be discriminating as to who you want to take on as a client but, you can not discriminate based on race, gender, religion, ethnicity, creed, national origin, or disability... You are selling to the general public, you must be open to the general public...

Consistency is key in proving you didn't discriminate. Do whatever you normally do. If you do a 1 call close, give the guy a call. If you normally do 2, give the guy 2 calls etc.

Strangely, you didn't quote the part where I said exactly that, just in fewer words.

As I said, you have the right to refuse service to anyone. Just make sure you would make the same decision, in this case regardless of ability.

That said, if they don't seem like a buyer, the least expensive route would be to act like the stereotypical salesman. Close hard and often. Always call trying to get another meeting to close and always have a translator available. It seems this resource center is more than happy to sue or threaten to sue. They can't say you refused service if you kept trying to get their business and drove them away.

I just wonder if the Resource center has found a new way to pad their coffers.

Deaf Resources Center is a full-service interpreting services agency. We utilize qualifed and screened sign language interpreters and we our services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

They could "hire" one person to respond to all types of offers then inquire if there will be an interpreter and threaten to sue..

I agree, I already told him to book the interpreter. And yes, now we are off the hook for this event and it cost us $100. But, what happens if the prospect wants to meet 1 or more times and requests an interpreter to be present each time...and after a few meetings decides to not purchase an annuity, take out a life policy, or place money with the financial advisor? I am merely posing the question when does the obligation of the agent end?

get a sign that says

"no shoes, no shirt, no hearing, no service" :D

You are not legally obligated to provide service to anyone as long as its not in an in-discriminatory way of doing it ;)

Sounds like a standard shakedown. There was guy in a wheelchair here in Florida several years back who, after the ADA passed, went around to every restaurant he could, rolled into the bathroom, and if it wasn't ADA compliant he sued the restaurant. He and some attorney figured out this was a nice way to make money.

How about turning that negitive, into a positive. Offer to do a seminar for the resource center. Be the go to guy for the deaf.

b61mack said:
How about turning that negitive, into a positive. Offer to do a seminar for the resource center. Be the go to guy for the deaf.

The center is two people. At least that is all that is listed on the about us page...3 of the links off the home page are empty just makes you wonder.

The center is two people. At least that is all that is listed on the about us page...3 of the links off the home page are empty just makes you wonder.

I noticed that as well. Looks like a sure fire way to make a dollar.

Back