DI for Doctors

Can one contract directly with Guardian?

No, you must contract with Guardian through one of their General Agents, that's one of the points of being a general agency style company--exclusive rights to the product.

Doesn't matter which GA you contract through, even though they have territories, there are ways around that.

Crimsometideagent

You recently posted with a potential referral. Please note that the original comment was started about 2 years ago.

Never hurts to comment, but might be too late for this case.

Skoal!

I remember and wrote a ton of Revere! But now who is the best, after Revere sued almost everyone out on a claim for a couple of years.... At any rate NML had a great contract for Docs and professionals... do they still? Or if I am with NML do I have to write away from them with my doc clients?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
How long do you think Guardian will keep the own occ option in place? It cannot be worth the risk to them... remember Provident, Revere, UNUM.... THE BEGINNING OF THE END.

Last edited:
late 90s, NML canned own occ for docs.

Guardian's offering doesn't come from them directly, they bought Berkshire Life (or if you ask a Berkshire die hard they merged) almost 10 years ago. Berkshire always had an extremely high quality own occ contract. Berkshire as a subsidiary of Guardian now, still handles all the underwriting, policy design, and risk management of the disability products. It's a very strong niche they have and I think they'll hold onto for some time to come.

I'm just back in the business after a 16 year break in another field. I wrote a lot of premium with an unamed company who will remain silent, but Revere came courting and their policy was incredible-- own occ for chiropractors. I did a ton of business with them and then it hit.... five years later claims for twisted fingers and twisted minds. Revere paid for a while then pretty much contested everything and settled the casese. For me, I would choose a solid loss of income poicy with a solid top company. First the banks, the automakers... when it hits insurers who do you think will be the first to go?

Chiropractors, now we've got a different story. Guardian/Berkshire will write them, but they've got a niffty way of getting around the own-occ 'till 67 issue there.

The answer is simple, Chiropractors are an occ class 2 (they use 1 worst to 6 best). Any occ class below 3 cannot have a benefit period any longer than 5 years. Additionally, they won't issue individual coverage to an occ class 2 unless they are a business owner who has been in business for at least 5 years and must have at least $50,000 in income.

Additionally they--like many carriers--require a SIS rider for occ classes 2 and below.

Back