Direct Mail

perfectchoice said:
Direct mail works if...

1. You can mail to a targeted market
2. You mail on a regular basis--most responses come after the fifth time receiving your piece.

My last mailing is at 2.56% response so far and leads are still coming in.

My market is people who just purchased or refinanced a house. I sell Mortgage Protection. Who is your market?

Direct mail by itself is not an effective way to market unless your mailers are followed up with a phone call. I have found a mailing followed up with a phone call can be very successful. It gives you a great "excuse" to call. Although, in my opinion, I would rather just cold call as I don't see a huge improvement in results when I send out a mailing. The time and money spend in a mailing could be better used in other marketing methods.

This is a hard enough game and to add large marketing costs just makes it that much harder. This is why I use marketing tactics that are all but free - B to B and telemarketing.

dvd493 said:
My market is people who just purchased or refinanced a house. I sell Mortgage Protection. Who is your market?

A niche within the senior market.

I tried some other markets including individual health but do not like the fact that marketing to the general public is very difficult--either very expensive or very time consuming, so I reverted back to the senior market and will sell individual health as I come across the need.

perfectchoice said:
dvd493 said:

A niche within the senior market.

I tried some other markets including individual health but do not like the fact that marketing to the general public is very difficult--either very expensive or very time consuming, so I reverted back to the senior market and will sell individual health as I come across the need.

Are you doing final expense? If so, is it something you can pull a 6 figure income doing?

Medicare health insurance plans.

Final Expense is good too I know a guy in my area--rather rural--who makes six figures solely with FE.

Other options...

So you spent about $4,000 on the mailers you sent out. Why not think about other options available, like hiring a telemarketer?

Telemarketer you hire for $20 an hour. (Generous pay)

Hire them for 20 hours a week x $20/hour = $400 a week!

Average of 1-2 leads per hour if they are good = 20-40 leads a week!

If you spend the same $4,000 on a telemarketer or two it would look like this:

$400 a week = 20-40 leads a week
x
10 week campaign
=
$4,000 and about 200-400 leads, and they would be a lot warmer compared to a direct mail lead. Most people expect something to be mailed back to them if they send a direct mailer card in. That's why they don't call or leave a phone number!

Wouldn't this make more sense? Even if you got half that you're sitting good. Or imagine if you pay the telemarketer less than $20 an hour.

Just a thought...

Shit, for $4,000 you can hire a telemarketing agency. You can even hire them for a trial run for about $500. Go here: http://www.quotecatcher.com/Site/Quote/MarketingAdvertising/Telemarketing.aspx?sid=1&kid=112 and your phone will light up like a switchboard with companies making you offers.

The only problem you'll find is they have minimum requirements to take on a campaign - say 50 hours. You'd better darned well be ready to handle that many leads because the girls who call are pros.

The largest cost, however, is lead lists. Say you buy a trial campaign of 50 hours. The marketers can make 40 call per hour so you'd need a list of 2,000 names.

If you want to go this route here's questions to ask:

1) Are the telemarketers US-based? Be careful because unless you ask the marketers are from the Phillipines or India.

2) Can I listen in on the calls? Some are set up for this, some are not.

3) What quality control measures do I have? Is there a manager assigned to my account?

I actually would like to give this a shot myself.

K-dub & John,

Thanks for the information. I will probably be using it in the near future. First I have to recoup the costs of this mailing.

Melmuch,

Who is Jamie and how can a person get in touch with her?

Back