Disputing Debit Balances

jmarkk1

Guru
100+ Post Club
I've been dealing with an issue for a couple of years with AHCP.

I was an agent with them for about 2 yrs, and in that time I had 3 policies cancel before 12 months. I wrote "new" business that replaced the canceled business and thought all was well. When paid on the "new" business I was paid the net commission after chargebacks were applied.

I thought all was well until I had a Vector placed on me for $1600. I quickly paid this off, and have been trying to get this dispute figured out. AHCP produces the accounting records showing how they arrived at this debit balance, but they have not been able to give me an explanation of how they arrived at the disputed balance. Their numbers don't add up, and based on my commission statements, there are missing months, etc.

I have had some help from HCO, which has been great, because they basically volunteered to help me figure this out since they do some work with AHCP.

How in the world can I get to the bottom of this? Does anyone know what can be done to help? I definitely dispute the charges.

I think all agents should pay and debit balance owed. However I would not have paid them until they could show me how the chargeback occurred.

This is a prime reason why agents should not assign commissions (not saying you did). Because if you do you have to worry about the carriers screw ups as well as the agency commission accounting not making sense.

I agree totally about paying back debit balance, but I had to pay the balance off in order to get contracted with other carriers.

AHCP has given me reports, etc., but they really don't make sense. Most contracts that I've had before that have had advances allow for new business to pay off debit balance, if any.

AHCP, paid off the debit/chargeback with new business, and the rest of what I sold stayed on books longer than 2 yrs.

I understand about needing to get contracted. Unfortunatly you no longer have leverage to get them to explain things as you paid them what they wanted and you don't sell for them now.

For what its worth this is not the first thread about debit balances not making sense from them.

I can understand the lack of leverage now, but I'd still like to have some type of closure.

I will probably work with a lawyer to see what can be done, but I'd like to know an angle to work with. I'm not a big fan of feeling like they hold all the cards. (which is why I don't assign anymore) It looks like they can pretty much make up whatever they want to....especiallly when they can't produce the contract that I signed. I would think that all they are allowed to do is stipulated somewhere.

Back