DNA cancer screening tables are a medicare scam

You missed the point. Identifying the gene does nothing to prevent the cancer and if the gene exists there is already evidence of it in the family history. The test really accomplishes little if anything other than drive up medicare costs. If there any real benefit to it, it would be for younger folks but that is not who it is being offered to.

Oh, don't feel sorry for my situation. The Dr. That diagnosed told me was "massive and incurable" and to go home and make my funeral arrangements. That will be 9 years ago in April.

Of course it is meant for the younger generation. Knowing a certain type of cancer runs in the family will be detected early before mutating to stage 4.

From your experience doctors speculate. I don't know what that doctor thinks when you talk to him 9 years later.

I hope ("illegal cancer screening") will one day produce the relevant results to help cancer patients detect cancer early on before mutating.

I rest my case.

Of course it is meant for the younger generation. Knowing a certain type of cancer runs in the family will be detected early before mutating to stage 4.

From your experience doctors speculate. I don't know what that doctor thinks when you talk to him 9 years later.

I hope ("illegal cancer screening") will one day produce the relevant results to help cancer patients detect cancer early on before mutating.

I rest my case.
The diagnosing Dr was not the only one with that opinion. My oncologist and radiation oncologist were of the same opinion only they did not voice it to me until a year after I finished treatment.

Last edited:
I've been at my boys Baseball games today on the road, so just got home. I received this email from my Attorney:

Tom,

Based on the links that you provided me, my consult is to advise you to not participate in the marketing of the Cancer / DNA screens that you mentioned. It has more risk than reward, not to mention the potential legalities that could or could not be criminal.

You may wish to thank Mr. Ritter for sharing his findings with you. Probably saved your career.

Sincerely,

Seymour

So - thanks @craig_ritter
You're welcome. I think that's the power of these boards that we can have a discussion and folks can share their point of view and at least you can make an informed decision on whether it's worth the risk of participating. In my opinion, there's probably a way that this would be legal, but it would depend, most likely, on what's happening with the billing/coding, diagnosis, etc., which is outside of your control. For every one way there is to do it legally, there's probably 100 ways to do it wrong (especially where the compensation seems excessive) and the Anti-Kickback Statues, False Claims Act and Stark Law are quite powerful tools of the Department of Justice.

I rest my case.

I have an aunt who died relatively young of a brain tumor. Suppose I took one of these tests and it showed I had a genetic weakness that might, or might not, cause a brain cancer. What would I do differently in my life?

You're welcome. I think that's the power of these boards that we can have a discussion and folks can share their point of view and at least you can make an informed decision on whether it's worth the risk of participating. In my opinion, there's probably a way that this would be legal, but it would depend, most likely, on what's happening with the billing/coding, diagnosis, etc., which is outside of your control. For every one way there is to do it legally, there's probably 100 ways to do it wrong (especially where the compensation seems excessive) and the Anti-Kickback Statues, False Claims Act and Stark Law are quite powerful tools of the Department of Justice.

I read the links you sent me. I'm not a lawyer by any means. But, when the words felony, criminal and conspiracy occurred frequently - I did send them to my lawyer.

Just to gray of an area for short term gain. All I kept seeing in my head was my future cell mate - the former Governor of Illinois - Blagojevich . . .

I read the links you sent me. I'm not a lawyer by any means. But, when the words felony, criminal and conspiracy occurred frequently - I did send them to my lawyer.

Just to gray of an area for short term gain. All I kept seeing in my head was my future cell mate - the former Governor of Illinois - Blagojevich . . .
I'm sure the Smurf would love for you to run your fingers through his freshly dyed jet black hair....Roomie. :twitchy:

I glad you decided to listen to somebody even if they did tell you the same as most other people were telling you.

Last edited:
Back