DNA cancer screening tables are a medicare scam

OK, United Healthcare just sent out an email about this:

Help Consumers Avoid a Scam – Genetic Testing Fraud

Recently, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) identified a scaminvolving beneficiary genetic tests.

About the scam
Some labs, at events like local health fairs, are offering a cheek swab for genetic testing as part of a “free” health screening in order to obtain beneficiary Medicare information for identity theft or fraudulent billing purposes. Read more information from CMS.

We also understand that some third parties are offering to pay agents if they help to facilitate Medicare beneficiaries completing the genetic test. Please note, UnitedHealthcare is taking this matter seriously, is coordinating with all appropriate regulators and will be pursuing all appropriate actions to protect our members.

What consumers should know
  • Before agreeing to genetic testing, beneficiaries should be sure the test is ordered by their doctor. They should also be sure the test is medically necessary and covered by their plan.
  • Beneficiaries should never give out their social security, Medicare or health plan numbers or banking information to someone they do not know.
  • Beneficiaries should never consent to any lab tests without their doctor’s order.
  • It is illegal to accept anything of value in exchange for medical services.
Your role
Let members know that they should never provide personal information to someone they do not know. Please advise them to call the customer service number on the back of their ID card to discuss coverage or other concerns. As an agent, please be wary of any entities that offer you payment for referral of medical services paid for by Medicare. Health screenings, like genetic testing, can be perceived as cherry picking, and are therefore prohibited at marketing events.

Important reminder! You can report fraud to the UnitedHealthcare Fraud Hotline online at https://www.uhc.com/fraud or by phone at 1-844-359-7736.

Just received another email from Gordon Marketing promoting it today...

Maybe I'm missing something, or am just not drinking the Kool-Aid?

I forwarded the email to an agent friend who is mad I'm not onboard in her downline with the scam. She said her upline is a nurse who does 20 swabs a week! She gets paid by the lab, who gets paid by CMS - how is it a scam?

Just received another email from Gordon Marketing promoting it today...

Maybe I'm missing something, or am just not drinking the Kool-Aid?

I forwarded the email to an agent friend who is mad I'm not onboard in her downline with the scam. She said her upline is a nurse who does 20 swabs a week! She gets paid by the lab, who gets paid by CMS - how is it a scam?

It's not a scam.

It could be illegal based on the anti-kickback laws though. That is what stopped my pursuit of this marketing tactic.

Back