Do people naturally avoid salesmen?

Nov 27, 2018

1. Brandon 8676

Brandon 8676 Expert

State:
    Alabama
    I ended up leaving the business a couple weeks ago, but one thing I noticed since getting out of it is some folks that weren’t talking to me while I was in it are now talking to me again. Do people naturally shy away from salesmen?

2. Markthebroker

Markthebroker Guru

State:
    California
    Were you constantly pestering them to buy a product that they weren't interested in?

3. WinoBlues

WinoBlues Guru

State:
    California
    Maybe one of you were not worthy of conversation.

4. Rob Lion

Rob Lion Guru

State:
    Kansas
    Don't portray yourself as one, don't harass people when i told a lady yesterday that'll send her quotes her whole demeanor changed.

Rob Lion, Nov 27, 2018
  5. DHK

DHK "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

State:
    California
    Hi Ned!

DHK, Nov 27, 2018
  6. DHK

State:
    California
    If you prospected or held yourself out like a "predator"... and now you're no longer a "predator"... that's why people are more relaxed around you now.

This video outlines the problem - and it equally applies to our business as it does network marketing:

DHK, Nov 27, 2018
  7. DHK

State:
    California
    If you've ever seen THIS crap... it's completely wrong:

http://jackieulmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/SalesStats.png

SalesStats.png

Why is it wrong? It's wrong because somebody got that from a MARKETING textbook (probably talking about branding) and applied it to selling. Claude Whitacre talks about this in his selling books and it makes perfect sense.

Marketing and sales are two completely different disciplines. Marketing is everything you do to lead up to the selling process. These stats integrate both into it as if "branding impressions" are part of the selling process to build familiarity and trust. The marketing MBAs got this completely wrong when this was invented.

Persistence only works when it is WELCOMED as a true follow-up. If it is not welcomed, then it is simply pestering (the root word being 'pest') and perhaps growing to annoyance and stalking.

DHK, Nov 27, 2018
  8. donamese

donamese Guru

State:
    Arizona
    Most sales people come off as sales people which is a huge turn off. The good ones do not appear as if they are selling anything.

donamese, Nov 27, 2018
  9. Brandon 8676

Brandon 8676 Expert

State:
    Alabama
    No. I presented to them one time to gauge their interest and didn’t bother them again after they had said they weren’t interested.

10. Markthebroker

Markthebroker Guru

State:
    California
    Perhaps they had a different feeling of the situation if they started avoiding you, and now they talk to you again.