Do people naturally avoid salesmen?

Nov 27, 2018

1. Brandon 8676

Brandon 8676 Expert

State:
    Alabama
    I was never a big time salesman anyway. I was terrible at it. Soul searching just lead me to the conclusion that I just wasn’t going to succeed in that business, didn’t have the right mentality and skill set to do so. I am going to surrender my license or let it lapse and never pursue a sales job again.

2. FutureForbes

FutureForbes Expert

State:
    Massachusetts
    as i was told... people hate sales people that suck.. if you were bad at it they robably didnt like you.

3. Brandon 8676

Brandon 8676 Expert

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah I could pretty much tell they didn’t. Oh well, I won’t be messing around the sales field again, so ultimately the point is moot.

4. DHK

DHK "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

State:
    California
    This thread reminded me of this article in InsuranceNewsNet some time ago. It talks about some of the better traits of other professionals that are better and more compatible for a quality career in insurance sales.

The Best (and Worst) Former Occupations to Recruit as Agents

(Ha! I just realized who wrote the article. He does make excellent points though.)

DHK, Dec 5, 2018
  5. Markthebroker

Markthebroker Guru

State:
    California
    I have really mixed emotions about this. Usually I am fairly decisive.

One part of me wants to say "don't quit before the miracle happens" "Thomas Edison tried almost 1,000 times before he got a light bulb to work" or "If Howard Schultz gave up after being turned down by banks 242 times, there would be no Starbucks" or "If J.K. Rowling stopped after being turned down by multiple publishers for years, there would be no Harry Potter"

The other part of me says "don't beat a dead horse" "don't throw good money after bad" "quit while you are ahead" "insanity is the definition of trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

6. Brandon 8676

Brandon 8676 Expert

State:
    Alabama
    yeah I pretty much HAD to give it up. I have a car payment to foot now, and that last month I had 3 weeks of $0.00 paycheck, couldn’t afford to keep in and risk further consecutive no pay weeks. Such is the caveat in working insurance Sales, you are not guaranteed a payday, even if you work 60 hours a particular week. If ya don’t make a sale, that work goes out the window.

7. DHK

DHK "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

State:
    California
    "Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently." - Henry Ford

Yes, things come up when you don't have success. If this is what you want, study up and figure out how you would do it - if it's what you WANT.

If you can't possibly see a way for you to be successful and happy doing it... that's your sign.

DHK, Dec 5, 2018
  8. MedicareMillionair

MedicareMillionair Super Genius

State:
    South Carolina
    No, people do not avoid salesmen. I’m no way has my status as an insurance agent ever caused anyone to treat me any differently. I think this is in your head. Maybe it’s part of the reason you’re no longer in the business.