Do people naturally avoid salesmen?

Maybe they feel sorry for you and want to lift your spirits, if you're no longer a big time salesman.
Could be lots of reasons.
I was never a big time salesman anyway. I was terrible at it. Soul searching just lead me to the conclusion that I just wasn’t going to succeed in that business, didn’t have the right mentality and skill set to do so. I am going to surrender my license or let it lapse and never pursue a sales job again.

I ended up leaving the business a couple weeks ago, but one thing I noticed since getting out of it is some folks that weren’t talking to me while I was in it are now talking to me again. Do people naturally shy away from salesmen?

as i was told... people hate sales people that suck.. if you were bad at it they robably didnt like you.

This thread reminded me of this article in InsuranceNewsNet some time ago. It talks about some of the better traits of other professionals that are better and more compatible for a quality career in insurance sales.

The Best (and Worst) Former Occupations to Recruit as Agents

(Ha! I just realized who wrote the article. He does make excellent points though.)

Whom to Stay Away From Recruiting

The Professional Sales Guy: These people have sold every single product you can imagine. They thrive on closing anyone they encounter. Although that may sound great, life insurance should be an educated and emotional sale instead of a pressured one. As convincing and tough as the professional sales guy may be, he usually doesn’t have the thick skin to stick it out for the few charge-backs that may occur in his career.

The M.I.A.: Have you ever heard the term missing in action? We’ve all met these types of sales reps. They couldn’t care less about building a relationship with a client. They are interested only in closing the sale. When they do, you never hear from them or see them again. We all know that life insurance is a relationship-building business and industry. If you don’t have a relationship with clients, they usually won’t keep their policy.

I have really mixed emotions about this. Usually I am fairly decisive.

One part of me wants to say "don't quit before the miracle happens" "Thomas Edison tried almost 1,000 times before he got a light bulb to work" or "If Howard Schultz gave up after being turned down by banks 242 times, there would be no Starbucks" or "If J.K. Rowling stopped after being turned down by multiple publishers for years, there would be no Harry Potter"

The other part of me says "don't beat a dead horse" "don't throw good money after bad" "quit while you are ahead" "insanity is the definition of trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

I have really mixed emotions about this. Usually I am fairly decisive.

One part of me wants to say "don't quit before the miracle happens" "Thomas Edison tried almost 1,000 times before he got a light bulb to work" or "If Howard Schultz gave up after being turned down by banks 242 times, there would be no Starbucks" or "If J.K. Rowling stopped after being turned down by multiple publishers for years, there would be no Harry Potter"

The other part of me says "don't beat a dead horse" "don't throw good money after bad" "quit while you are ahead" "insanity is the definition of trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
yeah I pretty much HAD to give it up. I have a car payment to foot now, and that last month I had 3 weeks of $0.00 paycheck, couldn’t afford to keep in and risk further consecutive no pay weeks. Such is the caveat in working insurance Sales, you are not guaranteed a payday, even if you work 60 hours a particular week. If ya don’t make a sale, that work goes out the window.

"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently." - Henry Ford

Yes, things come up when you don't have success. If this is what you want, study up and figure out how you would do it - if it's what you WANT.

If you can't possibly see a way for you to be successful and happy doing it... that's your sign.

I ended up leaving the business a couple weeks ago, but one thing I noticed since getting out of it is some folks that weren’t talking to me while I was in it are now talking to me again. Do people naturally shy away from salesmen?

No, people do not avoid salesmen. In no way has my status as an insurance agent ever caused anyone to treat me any differently. I think this is in your head. Maybe it’s part of the reason you’re no longer in the business.

Last edited:
When I was a carrier rep my production was in the top 20%. Landed on top of the heap one year and won a trip to Hawaii for my wife and me.

With 10 other reps and 15 or so HO officers and managers.

Hawaii was nice. Love to go back . . . as long as it isn't with a bunch of insurance agents and reps.

I tried to go straight commission twice before finally making it. Pretty much on top of my game in a niche market . . . until it collapsed. Wandered in the wilderness for 3 or 4 years before finding my groove again.

And then Obamacare happened and I had to start over again.

This rebuilding crap is for the birds but I stuck it out. Plan on staying here until the govt or something really stupid happens. Hopefully that won't be for a very long time.

Quitters never win.

This business and straight commission isn't for everyone. Nothing wrong with trying before realizing it was a mistake.

At least this time through . . .

In a few more years you may try again, and that time you may make it.

Had I not left the corporate world (actually they left me) and gone out on my own I probably would have had to change jobs at least every 3 years over the last 25. Something about this business makes it hard to find a home and stay there.

I never was a good fit for the corporate world. Too much of a maverick. Self employment isn't for everyone.

Back