Do You Tell them They Are Being Tracked?

My tracking uses pixels to know when the email is opened. They don't need to load images to trigger the return tracking memo.

Semantics. If the client doesn't download the pixels from the server, then the server never knows it was opened. Which is why many clients now default not to opening it.

I'm probably somewhere between Scagent and DHK. It is commonly done, however I'm not going to lose sleep over someone I think is lying to me. I'm on to the next person.

Tracking is an insidious practice and should be illegal. What business of it is yours to know when and if I open email you send?

And if you end up blowing someone off by saying you have tracked them... don't be surprised if they go on social media about the evil insurance agent who has violated their privacy and who should not be trusted, etc., etc., etc.

If it goes viral, even locally, it will take you years to recover. And "to what end" as the earlier poster asked?

Wait a minute. You have the right to invade their privacy and lie to them about it, but they don't have the right to lie to you? That's an interesting logical construct.

Some states make agents take an ethics CE class every few years. Obviously your state is not one of them!

Insurance agents. Gotta love 'em.

Where exactly did you read that he lies to them about anything? As far as invading their privacy by simply knowing if they opened an email or not...invading their privacy? Give me a break!

Anyone who thinks this is not common practice all over the business world is living in the clouds.

Email and attachment tracking is used by almost every serious web marketing company out there. Lots of big corporations use these systems on external emails too. If you get any type of "update" type emails from a big corporation, chances are they have it tagged with tracking.

Your standards of ethical behavior are different than mine. You are saying that if it is OK for Apple and the NSA and the CIA to do, it is OK for everyone. I disagree.

I obviously will not persuade you to change your ethics.

But I will say this. I'm allowed to have an opinion on the subject and it is simply unfortunate the you don't like it and you post something like this as a deflector:

Failed insurance agents who hold a jealous grudge against successful agents... who spend their free time condescending them, in a feeble effort to make themselves feel superior.

The financial industry has a bad reputation for honesty and ethical behavior. Why do states require ethics CE and why are fiduciary rules being considered? Do you wonder why people think of financial product sales people... the same as they do about used car sales personnel?

Many agents in the financial sector see no ethical problem with doing whatever it takes to make a sale.

If you are going to track my email, why not buy into the technology to tap my phone or capture all my keystrokes or better yet turn on my computer camera or smart TV and spy on me? Why not send me a free pen with an RFID chip in side so you can find wherever I travel?

Hey, dude! You can be the new Ned Ryerson:

Do you honestly think that apple does not know if you opened their emails or not? Or Starbucks?

So that makes it right? It sounds as if you would have made a great CIA and NSA agent instead of an insurance agent.

Some might find it intrusive... but how is it any more intrusive than calling you on the phone and knowing if you either answer or dont [sic] answer?

Is this something you do too?

Plus, most work 2x-3x more hours than me and still earn less than I do.

Yes, I'm sure you are the role-model for many hundreds, if not thousands of agents in the sector.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do states require ethics CE

Many professions require ethics related courses. Engineering, teaching, and Realtors are a few that come to mind immediately.

----------

Is this something you do too?

Am I aware if a person answers the phone when I call them? Yes....
Are you able to tell if a person answers the phone when you call them? :goofy:

Semantics. If the client doesn't download the pixels from the server, then the server never knows it was opened. Which is why many clients now default not to opening it.

I'm probably somewhere between Scagent and DHK. It is commonly done, however I'm not going to lose sleep over someone I think is lying to me. I'm on to the next person.

I use tracking too. The receiving person does not "download" anything.

In other words, tracking works pretty well. I doubt his tracking is inaccurate due to the person receiving it "not downloading it to avoid being tracked."

----------

Tracking is an insidious practice and should be illegal.

You need a life...

----------

I am about to call BS on these folks and let them know they never opened the email nor did they bother to click through to the report. I figure they have already blown me off so why not expose them as the liar they are?

I see no problem with calling them out.

I use tracking too. The receiving person does not "download" anything.

In other words, tracking works pretty well. I doubt his tracking is inaccurate due to the person receiving it "not downloading it to avoid being tracked."

----------

You need a life...

----------

I see no problem with calling them out.

If you wonder why financial advisors and insurance agents in particular have the reputation they do, well here is your answer in four-part harmony and full orchestration?

Tracking is an insidious practice and should be illegal. What business of it is yours to know when and if I open email you send?

And if you end up blowing someone off by saying you have tracked them... don't be surprised if they go on social media about the evil insurance agent who has violated their privacy and who should not be trusted, etc., etc., etc.

If it goes viral, even locally, it will take you years to recover. And "to what end" as the earlier poster asked?

Wait a minute. You have the right to invade their privacy and lie to them about it, but they don't have the right to lie to you? That's an interesting logical construct.

Some states make agents take an ethics CE class every few years. Obviously your state is not one of them!

Insurance agents. Gotta love 'em.

The only thing Is I have seen your post's and your undying support for Politian's with the most invasive policies ever seen, I find it amazing for you to have this opinion now

Elaborating a bit more.

Once the visitor hits submit to generate a quote I get an email and they get an email telling them what to expect and when. At midnight they get a 2nd email giving slightly more info.

Most of the time before they get the 2nd email they get a "live" email from me with a link to more detailed rate information and a bit more about what I can do for them. The next business day after their initial visit they get a phone call from me.

If they hit my site late Fri through Sunday they get auto-emails and one live email. I don't call them until Monday.

Some people have already bought (or at least that's what they say) when I call. Many times they are still checking rates to make sure they made the right decision. I try to engage them in conversation. Sometimes they listen, sometimes not. I don't press. I move on.

Only looking for low hanging fruit.

Elaborating a bit more.

Once the visitor hits submit to generate a quote I get an email and they get an email telling them what to expect and when. At midnight they get a 2nd email giving slightly more info.

Does most of your traffic come from Bing/Yahoo? I hate getting people with Yahoo accounts, these people never "get" your emails lol.

Back