Do You Think All of the Off Exchange People

Bill DOES make a good point...I have a few high income families that deliberately make the choice to not by a qualified plan, BUT buy short term perpetually and take the penalty...At least that is still an option for the healthy...Until that is taken away as well or legislated away...

The only client I had that actually went without is a couple with 4 kids. Makes $150K. (Really $250K with prayers they dont get audited). 4000 sq ft house. Pool. 3 kids in select sports. Told me they just couldn't afford it.

A couple of months ago, she posted on FB her sons 10th bday party. With the Hummer limo.

Makes me nutty.

Life is all about choices.

Bill DOES make a good point...I have a few high income families that deliberately make the choice to not by a qualified plan, BUT buy short term perpetually and take the penalty...At least that is still an option for the healthy...Until that is taken away as well or legislated away...

Thank you, I didn't realize that was the point that I was making. I thought my point was that the aca is a bunch of shitt and I see no moral imperative as a basis for ripping people off that happen to work for a living.

The HSA idea is very sound, and it appeals to people with the financial acumen to understand it and the available cash flow to utilize it. I agree with all those brilliant points that Yagents posted about HSAs. No doubt about it, Yagents is the master of HSA technical knowledge.

I think KGMom hit the nail on the head when she said it is about choices. When you look at the 400% to 600% category, it is populated by:

Those who will pick the cell phone plan vs health insurance
1. Young families who are torn between health ins. vs the cell phone plan
2. Young single males who see no need for health insurance

Those who will keep insurance:
1. Empty nesters with a family size of 2
2. Older folks who know their need for health insurance
3. Financially astute folks

Jen, you are just jealous you don't have a Hummer.

Or a bus.

my point was that the aca is a bunch of shitt and I see no moral imperative as a basis for ripping people off that happen to work for a living.

Preaching to the choir!

I can completely understand families over 400% FPL thinking that rates are too high, they are.

What I can't understand, though, is why a parent would choose to go without insurance for their children, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Catastrophic plans in my states (FL, GA) run in the $100 range per child, certainly they can afford that without giving up their precious Iphones and unlimited data plan.

If you honestly think OP as in your original post that DI and CI will take care of you if something happens, well I would hope you think again.

I've put up roughly 250k+ in less than 12 months in medical claims for unexpected things and I have individual DI and BOE. Absolutely no way either of these would cover medical expenses and replace income and cover business expenses. That's just foolish to think so.

At least carry a high deductible plan so you have a stop loss. I maxed out my costs first day of being in the hospital, the rest has been picked up 100% by my carrier.

Stuff happens, protect yourself. Never saw what hit me coming as it started out as some big blisters on my feet from flip flops, turning into bone infections and ended up with part of a foot being cut off. Thank god I had expensive health insurance that limited my out of pocket costs for all this and DI and BOE to keep my income up and cover my business expenses.

Back