Drug Card

I know people who have survived a major car crash yet were not wearing a seatbelt.

Doesn't mean that is always a good idea . . .

I know that most insurance agents know this but you can't compare the copays on an insurance plan like silverscript to a discount card like goodrx. That would be completely ridiculous and absurd.

Rick

Wrong on 2 counts.

a) KennyWest's (agent) card is basically an insurance plan and he is comparing it to a discount card.
b)It is not "ridiculous and absurd" for a United States citizen over 65 and on Medicare to compare the cost of drugs under an insurance plan with the cost of drugs under a discount card.

I included comparison to GoodRx and National which some said were ones to do so with..

Nifedipine ER 60 mg, zip 30328

GoodRx $19.26
National $24.80
Rx Card co pay would be $10.00; add in monthly $48 premium and next cost is $58 keeping in mind that is doing the math for only one prescription.

Decided to check Clobetasol creme 0.05%, a medication I use

GoodRx $87.84
National $204.01
Rx Card co pay would be $10.00; add in monthly $48 premium and next cost is $58 keeping in mind that is doing the math for only one prescription. Even if the only prescription in a month would but at ~$30 cheaper than GoodRx

So basically, your Clobetasol creme 0.05%, will max the card out for the month. :err:

Can anyone put the above post into English? I haven't a clue what "silverscript price for goodrx" means.

*ick

Sure, here you go: :)

"Ok, sorry. I haven't looked up the current precise price at all locations-but I did look at goodrx and see I was incorrectly remembering the silverscript price for goodrx.

----------------------------------------
edit for clarification posted after rick's post below.
I was incorrectly remembering the price which I would pay for bystolic through my Silverscript PDP as the price which I would pay using the goodrx discount card. Both prices are academic to me since I have cheaper alternatives and I have not looked at them in some time. I remembered incorrectly, the goodrx price is lower than the Silverscript price.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

So from memory, here is roughly what I see for the bystolic I use.

Silverscript on my PDP. 180 +/-
goodrx and the national drug card 140 +/-
progressive rx 60-65 +/-, plus a shipping charge (paid in us, shipped from india)
(as a side note, the first nebivolol generic approved by FDA for us distribution in 2020 is to be manufactured in India I believe)
A canadian pharmarcy shipping british retail packaging-from a variety of European pharmaceutical chains, I'd have to sit down and work out the precise amounts because of quantity differences - but comes out less than half of progressive price."

Wrong on 2 counts.

a) KennyWest's (agent) card is basically an insurance plan and he is comparing it to a discount card.
b)It is not "ridiculous and absurd" for a United States citizen over 65 and on Medicare to compare the cost of drugs under an insurance plan with the cost of drugs under a discount card.

Insurance agents understand that these are 2 separate products. One is actual insurance and the other is simply a discount. Neither one is best for all medications.

I guess the only "ridiculous and absurd" thing is you are still here.

Rick

Insurance agents understand that these are 2 separate products. One is actual insurance and the other is simply a discount. Neither one is best for all medications.
Rick

That is precisely the point. A Medicare beneficiary is basically required to have some type of drug insurance. A prudent consumer with more costly drugs in their list will look at both options for their drugs to get the best cost mix of a PDP plan and cash purchases. The discount card is one tool which may help in reducing the non-insurance cash price.

Last edited:
Back