Final newbie decision. Captive for NYL!

Passed my Exam! 82%. ;)Actually, it wasn't that hard at all. I went back to NYL and filled out all the paperwork. I hope I can make some money by December at this! (I will be splitting commissions with the agent I am under. . . and I can only work after 5 pm. I hope it works out! (Please tell me if this is realistic!)

Good job, ya done good!

I also wonder why only after 5. That may make it real tough. Successfully selling insurance is reall a full-time job.

Good luck guys, as with any situation it's going to depend on the people around you. I spent a decade with nyl and it was good and bad. I met some good people and some bad. Your success will come from your hard work. I hope in your situation your mentors have enough business of their own and aren't eyeing yours. Good luck.

what ever they do make them teach how to prospect and not just start by selling your family members.....

I know, I know. . . this board primarily consists of "independent" insurance salesmen (saleslady) but after thoroughly reading the boards about training a newbie and what all is involved, I thought it best to join NYL as a captive agent for a while. I know it's a rah-rah company and I "will drink their kool-aid" for a while, but I think it will be best for training purposes. (Actually, I am starting as an interning being that I am in school.) They are paying for my class instruction, licensing fees, and everything else that is incurred. I will come in to train a couple hours a day (at 10 bucks an hour) to learn the system and then have commission splits with the agent I am under. Maybe not as ideal as an independent agent, but, what the heck . . . the building NYL is backed up to a baseball stadium and is absolutely gorgeous. What independent agent can watch a baseball game from his office???? :cool:

I have learned so much from this forum and owe much to all of you! Do y'all mind if I keep posting on this thread to let you know how things go????

Thanks so much!
kendog.

Re: Final newbie decision . . . Captive for NYL!

Well . . . last night was my first appointment with my agent. He did all the talking (which was fine - because I haven't a clue what I'm doing) and it was very interesting. I have another appointment that I set up and will be doing it this Friday evening. I dont' always like hitting up church members and family, but I have informed all of them that I am practicing and learning the trade and they all agree to "humor" me and to see if they want the product.

I am excited about this but am a little confused and short-circuited by all the paper work involved. But I'm sure that comes with time.

I'll keep you posted on how things go.

(BTW, the part-time after 5pm thing is because I already have a full time Graduate Assistantship at my college and I can only do this in the evening. - it will be that way until next May.)

You seem to be a very busy and energetic person. Congrats on your final decision with NYL! I'm going to be licenced with them as well pretty soon.

(BTW, the part-time after 5pm thing is because I already have a full time Graduate Assistantship at my college and I can only do this in the evening. - it will be that way until next May.)

Damn, anyone who wants to be an insurance agent that bad has half of the battle won, the really tough half.

I admire your tenacity and wish you well.

Okay, here's my new schedule. . . tell me what you think,

Okay guys, Still definitely a newbie here. . . .

I go to school full time (grad level) and work 28 hrs a week. I have worked my schedule so that I have all afteroon Wednesday and Friday to prospect. I am young (24) and am slightly concerned about my young looks to sell life insurance. I have a real desire to help people and to help them make financially wise decisions. I don't have a problem cold-calling (already done some cold calling to businesses) and don't mind meeting with people in person.

Question: What do you think is the best strategy for the time I have allotted?

"Question: What do you think is the best strategy for the time I have allotted?"

Smile and dial.

Back