Finding personal dental insurance

Individual dental insurance is virtually risk free to the carrier. They design the plans and premium in such a way as to generate a guaranteed profit on the line of coverage. That is why so many carriers offer dental. They are falling over themselves to bring out another "me too" product.

I cannot think of two products more adverse selected than individual dental and vision. About the only people who buy it will use it and use it soon. Especially with vision, how often does the average person who doesn't need glasses get even an annual exam?

At least with a group you can usually get the employer to pay part or all of the cost.

paying a month a premium for dental insurance to receive free cleanings and then terming the policy is just shady, especially being an agent. he some how gets it but has no concern other than himself (even though he is an insurance agent and clearly shows he understands there's a pool).

First of all, not free. I have a $50 deductible per person.

Secondly - I must have forgotten the moral mandate to buy (and keep) insurance to increase the pool. I hope that you own every single kind of insurance available to man, and if you've ever cancelled a single policy - shame on you. Others would have benefitted by you putting your money into the pool.

At the end of the day, the carrier offers it, I buy it when I want it, and I don't pay for it when I don't want it. End of story.

I cannot think of two products more adverse selected than individual dental and vision.

People buy it thinking they can beat the house. A few, like Scott, will figure out how to game the system, but the carriers are experts at making a crap product look good to a consumer.

Teaser term rates that maybe 2% of the population can get.

Indemnity plans that look as good as major med.

Major med plans with copay's that don't kick in until you have satisfied your deductible.

PPO plans with networks smaller than most HMO's

Major med plans that don't include drugs

The list goes on

We just rolled this Dental Humana PPO out as of October 1st with effective dates beginning November 1st. We built the group and there is zero waiting period, $25 individual deductible annually. Take a look at the PDF and if anybody has ever seen a dental that can match this please Post-it. The product that you'll see attached is available to Consumers to purchase as well as agents to sell with comps on the higher end compared to most dental plans. If interested, please call me at 7865596576.

Attachments

• Dental Plan 1.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 13
We just rolled this Dental Humana PPO out as of October 1st with effective dates beginning November 1st. We built the group and there is zero waiting period, $25 individual deductible annually. Take a look at the PDF and if anybody has ever seen a dental that can match this please Post-it. The product that you'll see attached is available to Consumers to purchase as well as agents to sell with comps on the higher end compared to most dental plans. If interested, please call me at 7865596576.

Seems to be a Florida only plan.

This:
Amalgam fillings (1 per tooth every 2 years,composite for anterior/frontteeth)
suggests you are only allowed one filling per tooth every 2 years. If that is the case, that could be a significant issue for some.

Only allows 1 root canal retreatment per tooth.

Waiting period information is not presented in the attached flyer.

Does cover 3 cleanings per year. Don't know what periodontal cleanings are, but it says it covers 4 of those per year.

edit:
$25 ded is only if you use an in-network PPO dentist. Out of network reverts to more traditional $50 ded.
end edit.
---------------------------------------------

If filling limit is true, that would be a deal breaker for me. A $50 ded plan with no filling limit per tooth would be a far better coverage.

Also, I would like to see a dental insurance that would cover at least one adult flouride varnish per year.

Last edited:
Seems to be a Florida only plan.

This:

suggests you are only allowed one filling per tooth every 2 years. If that is the case, that could be a significant issue for some.

Only allows 1 root canal retreatment per tooth.

Waiting period information is not presented in the attached flyer.

Does cover 3 cleanings per year. Don't know what periodontal cleanings are, but it says it covers 4 of those per year.

edit:
$25 ded is only if you use an in-network PPO dentist. Out of network reverts to more traditional $50 ded.
end edit.
---------------------------------------------

If filling limit is true, that would be a deal breaker for me. A $50 ded plan with no filling limit per tooth would be a far better coverage.

Also, I would like to see a dental insurance that would cover at least one adult flouride varnish per year.

Who needs more than one filling in EACH of their individual teeth every two years? There is no waiting period. That was the Original Florida plan which has been extended nationally. $25 annual deductible with Unlimited Annual cap that Humana will pay. 0 day, month, annual, waiting period on basic OR Major Services. Policies go into effect on the 1st and are ready to be utilized with full benefits. Back to the root canals, same concept, per tooth. Get 10 root canais. If a better policy exists, please show it so i can give it to my downloads. And it's Humana PPO Dental. Call your dentist and ask if they'll accept it, they will and lesser cash only.

There are a number of other policies that do not restrict root canal retreatments to 1 per tooth.
Since I have not yet had to deal with that issue, I don't know how much of a concern it is.

As far as multiple fillings go, I have had three to 7 fillings a year for the last 4-5 years. I'm sure some of those have been same tooth. Because of more serious issues I have been saving eob's the last two years, I have one tooth that has had 2 emergency fillings for old fillings that came out, one in 2019 and one in 2020. As far as I am concerned, a policy that limits fillings to 1 per tooth every two years is totally useless and I would recommend it to no one.[/QUOTE]

And as far as waiting periods are concerned, I want to see that in some plan literature, in addition to hearing that from an agent.

A google search for consolidated solutions humana dental ppo yielded zilch, so I am also unable to substantiate your claim the plan is now available nationally.

Back